67

Eliana's POV:

We gathered at the Animal Clinic.

Stiles pulled back the sheet to reveal another dead Chimera.

Theo noticed how Scott was looking at the kid and asked, "Did you know him?"

Scott nodded. "His name's Josh. He was a junior."

Stiles placed the sheet back over Josh and I leaned against the wall, crossing my arms before asking, "So, which one did it? The one with the cane?"

Theo turned to me and nodded with a smirk. "Yeah."

"Stow the smirk, shithead. I'm taken. Sort of."

"Little wolf  has a mate, huh? Who is it?"

"Need to know basis."

Stiles looked around the room. "What are we going to do with him? We can't just set the alarm and leave. That's how Tracy disappeared. All right, someone's gotta stay with him."

Theo stood. "I'll do it. It's not like I had a big Saturday night planned."

Scott's phone buzzed and he looked at it weirdly.

"What?" Stiles asked.

Scott looked between us. "Another one. Another Chimera."

---

I got a text from Liam telling me that Hayden was at Scott's.

We made our way to Scott's room and Scott banged on his bathroom door. "Hayden? It's Scott. I know that you're scared, but we just... We want to help."

Hayden remained silent and Scott turned to Liam. "I can hear her heart beating. She's really freaked out. What happened?"

Liam's voice sounded panicked. "She was okay when we got here! I went to text you and Eliana for two seconds and she locked herself in."

"Why?" Stiles asked.

Liam shook his head. "I don't know."

"She's definitely a Chimera?" Scott wondered.

"She said she heard a voice saying, "Your condition improves.""

Stiles let out a sigh. "Okay, that's unsettling."

He walked to the door and knocked. "Hayden, this is Stiles. Your sister works for my dad at the station. Look, just open the door, okay? You can trust us. We just need to tell you the truth, Hayden. And that kind of thing is usually better face-to-face."

I pushed Stiles away and said, "Hayden, it's Eliana. I can tell you're scared and that you want to stay in there. But you have face your fears and brave them." You need to face your biggest fear too, Eliana. Shut up.

The door clicked and opened. Hayden appeared with glowing eyes, fangs, and claws. "I believe you guys. I'll only talk to only Eliana."

The boys left the room and Hayden leaned against the wall. "Are you like them?"

I nodded. "Yeah. I'm pretty up to par with Scott."

Hayden sighed and met my eyes. "I'm terrified. I don't know what's happening to me. Everything used to be so black and white. It used to be so simple."

"Yeah, well, it's not as simple as that."

"I wish it was. Can you keep this between us?"

I nodded. "Yeah. I can."

---

We met at the Animal Clinic and Scott unfolded a map of telluric currents.

I let out a frustrated sigh. "Well, this is fan-fucking-tastic."