16

Derek's POV:

"Does anyone wanna try not being completely predictable?" I asked as my betas kept using the same fighting tactics.

As I sat and watched my betas train, Erica sat on my lap and kissed me.

I pushed her off and said, "That's the last time you do that."

"Why?" She retorted with a smirk. "Because I'm a beta?"

"No, because I have someone else in mind for you. And I already have a mate. Don't test her."

Erica rolled her eyes and glared at Ella. In return, Ella growled quietly at Erica.

"Are we done?" Isaac asked impatiently. "I got about a hundred bones that need a few hours to heal."

"Come here," I ordered, breaking another bone. "A hundred and one. You think I'm teaching you how to fight? Huh? Look at me! I'm teaching you how to survive!"

"And how not to get your asses handed to you in a fight against hunters," Ella added, glaring at Erica.

I get the feeling she doesn't like Erica. I wouldn't either, if I'd been her and had seen another guy kiss my mate.

"If they wanted us dead, why aren't they coming for us now?" Isaac asked.

I shook my head. "I don't know. But they're planning something. And you, especially, know that's not our only problem. Whatever that thing is that killed Isaac's father, I think it killed someone else last night. Until you find out what it is, you all need to learn everything that I know. As fast as I can teach you."

Isaac pointed at Ella. "How come you don't have to teach her how to fight?"

"Because I can already fight, dumbass," Ella shot back.

She stalked away, clearly still pissed. Probably about what happened earlier.

I glared at my betas and followed her. She was sitting with her back to me.

I knelt next to her. "Ella?"

She glanced at me and her eyes flicked blue. She threw a rock as she muttered, "I'm angry. At everything."

"That's why you have an anchor. That's why I'm here to help. I can get the triskelion if that will help."

She laughed. "You know that's bologna, right?"

I kissed the top of her head and she sighed.

Erica and Isaac left and Ella decided to stay.

"Aren't you going to school?" I asked.

She fake coughed. "I can't. I'm sick. See?"

I laughed. "That's not even close to convincing. You can't get sick."

She sighed. "I know, but I don't want to go to school."

"Fine by me."

"Really?"

"I'm not your guardian. You just better hope your dad doesn't find out. Let's practice control."

She pouted. "I have enough control."

"Yeah, well, you've been losing control, so we're gonna practice."

Later that night, during the lacrosse game, we made our way to the school. We met up with Stiles in the pool.

"Stiles," I acknowledged.

"Derek," he replied in the same tone.

"What did you see at the mechanics garage?"