21

Derek's POV:

We made our way to the subway station. I managed to get the poison out of the two of them. Ella seemed on the verge of a panic attack and I didn't blame her.

Scott began arguing with me and I let out an annoyed sigh. "I'm saying we need a new plan, because next time, one of us is going to be too hurt to heal. Ella could have died! Ella, that was stupid, by the way."

"Ugh, I get it," Scott said. "We can't save Jackson."

Ella scoffed. "You're right. We can't kill him, either."

I nodded in agreement. "I've seen a lot of things, Scott. I've never seen anything like this. Every new moon's just gonna make him stronger."

"But how do we stop him?" Scott asked.

"I don't know. I don't even know if we can."

"Should we even save him?" Ella retorted bitterly. "After all, he's a snake that tried to kill me."

Scott groaned. "Can you get past that? Maybe we should just let the Argents handle it."

Ella glared at Scott as her eyes flashed angrily.

"I'm the one who turned him. It's my fault," I admitted.

I began feeling just a little calmer as Ella took one of my hands. "Derek, you couldn't have known. Don't blame yourself. You can't beat yourself up like this."

Scott nodded. "Yeah, but you didn't turn him into this. I mean, this happened because of something in his past, right?"

"That's a legend in a book. It's not that simple," I replied.

Scott frowned. "What do you mean? What are you not telling me?"

This kid is seriously getting on my nerves. "Why do you think I'm always keeping something from you?"

"Because you're always keeping something from me."

"Well, maybe I do it to protect you."

"Doesn't being part of your pack mean no more secrets?"

"Secrets can protect those we love," Ella replied softly.

"How do you use it? Who's side are you on, Eliana?"

Her eyes flashed angrily. "I'm against the kanima and I really want this to be over and I don't know why you don't understand that, Scotty! I just want to protect those I care for! I want to protect you, Stiles, Lydia, the sheriff, your mom, Isaac and Derek!"

"Go home, Scott," I told him. "Sleep. Heal. Make sure your friends are safe. I'll keep an eye out for Ella. 'Cause the full moon's coming. And with the way things are going, I've got a feeling it's gonna be a rough one."

Scott left and I turned to Ella. "How do you feel?"

"Like I'm about to freak or scream. I don't know which," she admitted.

"Scream, then. Maybe that will make you feel better."

She made her way to one end of the subway station and screamed. I felt my heart shatter as I heard her screams. They were broken screams that I imagined my family let out in the fire all those years ago.

Ella turned and her eyes were steel blue. "Right as always, Hale. That did make me feel better."

I brushed a strand of hair behind her ear. "I hate to say it, but you still don't seem okay."

She laughed sarcastically. "I'm fine, Derek. If you try to argue with me, I swear to God I'll rip your throat out--"

"With your teeth," I finished with a smile. "I know."