95

Eliana's POV:

Lydia, Malia, Scott and I sat in the sheriff's office, waiting for him to show. My dad and Evan stood in the back of the office.

Sheriff walked in and placed two files on his desk. "I'm not letting them out. We've got two bodies covered in slash marks. They confessed to killing two people."

"Hunters," Scott protested.

Sheriff Stilinski frowned. "People, Scott. Self-defense or not, they're still here, the other guys are dead. And there's a process I have to follow."

I met his eyes. "You know what's happening in this town. You know how unsafe it is for them."

The sheriff sighed. "This may actually be the safest place for them in Beacon Hills. At least I can protect them here."

I crossed her arms and asked pointedly, "And Stiles. Would he agree?"

"Especially if one of your deputies is working for Gerard?" Malia questioned.

Sheriff Stilinski shook his head. "I'm not buying that. I know these deputies like the back of my hand. I know their families, their kids, their brothers and sisters. I know who they are and I trust them."

"You know who they were," Liam corrected. "There's something out there. Everyone's afraid. And it's getting worse."

Scott nodded. "Yeah, you can't protect two werewolves from hunters if they're already on the inside."

The sheriff turned his gaze to the girl we had brought in. "It's Quinn, right?" The girl nodded. "You're sure it was a deputy who shot you? Absolutely 100% sure?"

Quinn nodded again. "I saw flashing lights. A police car. I... I saw a badge, a gun, and then they shot me. They shot me in the head and that's all I remember."

My dad frowned. "There are a couple holes in her story."

"Maybe because there's a hole in her head," Lydia retorted.

Malia let out a loud laugh and noticed the looks she was getting. "I'm sorry."

Scott shook his head at her and turned back to the adults. "Sheriff, Officer Hart, we need to get Jiang and Tierney out here before anyone realizes that they're here."

"And take them where?" the sheriff wondered. "Eric and I can't let them go."

"But if you keep them here, they're-" Lydia was cut off.

"Look if there's a problem-"

The sheriff was cut off by the sound of engines and lights. Scott and I peeked outside to see Monroe and at least a dozen well-armed hunters.

"Get away from the windows," Evan ordered. "Put those guns away."

Parrish turned to the sheriff. "I'm guessing you three know who's out there."

"I got a pretty good idea," the sheriff and my dad said.

Evan nodded. "Oh, we definitely know. God they reek of anger."

"They'll be armed to the teeth," Parrish warned.

"Which is why Hart and I won't be," the sheriff said.

"I'm going with you two," Parrish told him.

Sheriff Stilinski shook his head. "No, you're gonna get some deputies, check the exits, and hope we're not completely surrounded. And keep an eye out. Let's make sure we're all on the same side here."

The sheriff and my dad walked outside, raising their hands in surrender.

Malia peeked out the window and started packing away as she said in a panicked voice, "We have to get out of here."