06

I was sitting on the side as I watched and listened to Derek chasing Scott through a parking garage.

"Damnit," Scott cursed. "Oh, crap. No. No, stop."

Derek pinned Scott to a car as he said, "You're dead."

"What--What the hell was that?"

"Said I was gonna teach you. I didn't say when."

"How come Eliana doesn't have to deal with this? You scared the crap out of me."

"Not yet. Ella has control, remember?"

"Right. Okay, but I was fast, right?"

"Not fast enough."

"But--but the car alarm thing, that was smart, right?"

I stood from my spot and said, "'Til your phone rang."

"Yeah, but that was--I mean--Would you just stop? Please? What happened the other night, Stiles' dad getting hurt, Ella's dad almost getting hurt, that was my fault. I should have been there to do something. I need you to do something. I need you to teach me how to control this."

"Look, I am what I am because of birth. Ella, too. You were bitten. Teaching someone who was bitten takes time. I don't even know if I can teach you," Derek replied.

"What do I have to do?"

"You have to get rid of distractions. You see this?" He held up Scott's phone. "This is why I caught you. You want me to teach you? Get rid of her."

"What, just because of her family? Wait--wait--whoa--whoa!" Scott cried as Derek threw his phone into a wall.

"You getting angry? That's your first lesson. You want to learn how to control this, how to shift, you do it through anger, by tapping into a primal animal rage, and you can't do that with her around."

"I can get angry. What about Eliana? Can she control her shift?"

"Obviously. Not angry enough. This is the only way that I can teach you. Now, can you stay away from her? At least until the full moon?"

Scott nodded and I suspected he was lying. "If that's what it takes."

"Do you want to live? Do you want to protect your friends? Yes or no?"

"Yes. If you can teach me, I can stay away from her."

Scott walked away and once he was gone, I muttered, "He's lying."

Derek nodded. "I know. He can't stay away from her."

"Don't do anything. Promise me, Derek."

He scoffed and I shot him a look and he relented.

"Fine," he agreed gruffly. "I'll leave it alone. For now."

"For now," I repeated. "That's all I ask."

Later, Scott made his way to Derek's house and began yelling, "Derek? I-I know I said I would stay away, but you broke my phone. I had to at least tell her why I wasn't answering. Derek?"

Derek appeared behind Scott and I followed behind, but a branch crunched beneath my foot, causing Scott to turn around. "You seriously need to stop doing that."

"So what happened?" Derek asked. "Did he talk to you?"

"Yeah. We had a nice conversation about the weather. No, he didn't talk."

"Well, did you get anything off of him? An impression?" I questioned.

"What do you mean?"

"Remember your other senses are heightened," Derek said. "Communication doesn't have to be spoken. What kind of feeling did you get from him?"