98

Eliana's POV:

Scott and I made our way to the Animal Clinic to meet up with Liam, Mason and Theo. Scott played the voicemail we'd found at the Primal Pack compound.

"Hey, it's me again. I, uh, don't know why you can't seem to call me back. Maybe because you think you're punishing me. But this is too long. It's too much. And it's not about us. Something is happening in Beacon Hills, to the people here. I just... I just, I need to know everyone there with you is okay, so can you just, please, call me, please? One call, that's all I'm asking for, and if you can't call me back, then... I'm going to get my answer anyway. That means I'm coming up there myself. If I don't get a call from you, I'm coming up there. So just try, try to remember. It's my pack, too."

Theo frowned. "You pulled this off one of the bodies in the woods?"

"Malia did," Liam replied.

Scott nodded. "Yeah, there were six dead bodies, and one of them had no face."

"Okay, so the one with no face, you think that's the woman on the phone?"

"Maybe."

Mason looked at us with a puzzled expression as Scott continued. "It's the same thing that happened to Aaron. It took over his body, basically stole his face and his DNA. So that means whoever this woman is, she could pick the other half of the Anuk-Ite."

Theo looked at Mason grimly. "Which means she's just half of the problem. The other half we already know about, Aaron."

Scott shook his head. "We don't know where he is, though."

I frowned. "We're supposed to keep the two halves apart."

"If we know about one half, let's just go for that one. That's Aaron," Theo said.

Mason stepped closer to me and Theo. "I'm not agreeing with Theo, but I do think it'd be easier to track Aaron over a voice on the phone."

Liam narrowed his eyes. "That's agreeing with Theo."

Mason gave a half-hearted shrug. "Yeah, but I thought I'd try to soften the blow a bit."

Theo looked surprised. "Is everyone completely shocked that I might be right?"

Liam shook his head. "No, we just don't like it."

After a moment, Scott offered a compromise. "Maybe we're all right. Maybe we should be looking for Aaron and the woman on the phone. I mean, since you guys agree..."

Mason cut Scott off. "Wait, you mean, her, me and..."

"Him? Her?" Theo finished.

Scott nodded. "Yeah. You three find Aaron. Liam and I will try to find out whose voice is on the phone."

Liam looked between us. "If we find either half, maybe we don't have to fight it at all. Stop the Anuk-Ite..."

"Stop the war."

As Theo, Mason and I left, Scott grabbed Mason's arm. "Watch out for her. I'm worried she might kill him."

I growled. "I so fucking will."

Scott met my eyes. "Don't kill him, okay? We need him."

"Need him? We don't need him, Scott. In fact, I'd go so far to say that we're better off without him."

"Ella, don't kill him."

"Fine." He frowned, clearly not believing me. "I said fine! Mason will make sure I don't murder the shithead."