79

Eliana's POV:

Stiles said, "My dad and Ella's dad got an APB out..."

"For a 5'8 16-year-old?" Kira interrupted.

Stiles smiled awkwardly. "I recommended nine-foot tall rampaging werewolf."

I rolled my eyes. "And I told the sheriff and my dad to ignore this idiot's words."

Liam looked between us. "It still might not be him. But Hayden's at the school looking."

"I can keep checking the woods," Malia said.

Scott walked into the room. "My mom can check all the hospitals in the county. We can find him."

"What happens then?" Liam wondered.

I shrugged. "We do what we're best at. We figure out a way to save him."

Lydia nodded. "Okay. Where else could we look?"

"Let's ask Corey," Scott replied, clutching something with his hand.

Corey became visible and tried defending himself. "Wait. Wait. It's not my fault. They took him and I couldn't do anything. They took him..."

"Who?" I demanded.

"The Dread Doctors."

I made my way to the station with Stiles and Lydia. I seriously wanted to hurt Theo for what he'd done to Scott, but if I was around him, I'd probably kill him, and I doubted I could handle another's demise on my conscience. I was finally at peace with Lucille's death, though that was easier to handle because she deserved it.

"Still nothing from Scott and Liam," Stiles informed.

"Are we really sure this is a good idea?" Lydia asked.

I shrugged. "No, it's a shitty idea, but it's the only one we've got."

The sheriff turned to his son. "But you're trusting Theo anyway?"

Stiles shook his head. "We're not trusting him. We're using him."

Lydia frowned. "What if he's using us?"

I met her eyes. "Oh, definitely using us."

Stiles nodded. "Definitely. But, look, we're just trying to cover every place Mason could show up. Malia and Braeden are at Scott's house. Melissa's got the hospital. Hayden and Corey are at the school."

Sheriff Stilinski and my dad sighed. "Somebody's got to find him."

I pursed my lips. "And let's hope they find Mason and not the Beast."

Stiles fell asleep on the couch in the sheriff's office and I sat on the desk, playing on my phone. Card games oddly relaxed me. I noticed Lydia coming back and shook Stiles' shoulder.

Stiles jumped up. "Hmm? What? What happened? Who's dead?"

"No one. At least not yet," Lydia replied.

Stiles sat up and I sat next to him, crossing my legs on the couch.

I noticed his expression and asked, "You okay, Stiles?"

He nodded. "Yeah, just thinking. Still trying to figure out why Mason? I mean, he wasn't even on the genetic Chimera list."

I shrugged and Melissa entered as she said, "He is now."

I grabbed a file and looked through the pictures. "Why now?"

"Mason was born with twin embolization syndrome."

Lydia nodded. "You mean fetal resorption."

"He had a vanishing twin in utero, which accounts for two sets of DNA."

Stiles frowned. "Can someone please say it with words that have less than three syllables?"

Melissa turned to him and said bluntly, "He ate his twin."

"Oh, God," Stiles muttered.

I glanced at her and asked, "Did it help?"

Melissa shook her head. "I don't know. But it's just bizarre enough to sound like it might be something important, right?"

I sighed. "Maybe. There has to be something."

They looked at the ultrasound of Mason eating his twin and I grimaced. That's pretty gross.