38

Eliana's POV:

Scott, Stiles and I were still in the woods.

I held onto a tree for support and Stiles glanced at me. "You okay?"

"Yeah," I lied.

"No, you're not. What's wrong? Is it Derek? You said he was in trouble."

"Serious trouble." I paused, sniffing the air.

"What?"

Something caught my eye and I pointed to it.

Stiles and I found reconnected with Scott and Stiles said, "Ella and I think we found something."

"So did I," Scott replied, showing us what he'd found.

"It's a coyote den."

"Werecoyote."

Stiles walked further into the den. "You two see this? This is Malia's. Remember, it's the same one she was wearing in the photo."

Scott frowned. "We shouldn't be in here."

"What do you mean? Ella, why are you looking so worried?"

I shook my head. "She isn't going to want to return to this place. We invaded her home. Our scent will be everywhere."

"If she's not going to come back here, where's she going to go?"

"I don't know," Scott and I admitted.

"Can you two track her now? You two think you got her scent?"

"Maybe," Scott replied. "But I'm better at this when I'm a full wolf. And I'm still worried that if I do it, I won't be able to turn back." He sighed.

"The door's still open."

"If Ella and I can't get to Derek, we're gonna have to find someone else to help. This is basically a crime scene, right? I think it might be a little out of my boss' league."

"And more in my dad's and Ella's."

We met back up with the sheriff and my dad.

"You're sure it was her?" Sheriff asked.

"I looked her right in the eyes," Scott answered. "And they glowed just like mine."

"It makes sense, Dad."

Dad frowned. "But it wasn't a girl. It was a four-legged creature, right?"

"Well, okay," I said. "Though, see, that's the point we haven't exactly figured out yet."

Scott looked between everyone. "Okay, but if it was a full moon and she did change while her mom was driving, then anything could've happened."

"Horrible things could have happened," Stiles emphasized. "Ripping, shredding, tearing things."

"Which is probably what caused the accident," I reasoned.

"Think about it, Dad, Officer Hart, all right. They're driving, Malia starts to change, she goes out of control, the mom crashes and everybody dies."

"Except for Malia," Scott said.

"She blames herself, all right, goes off running into the woods and eventually becomes trapped inside the body of a coyote."

"That makes sense," Sheriff stated with a sigh. "In a Chinese folktale. Boys, Eliana, this is this is insane. Eric and I need this kept quiet. The three of you, not a word. We don't want anyone hearing about this. We especially don't want Mr. Tate hearing about this." I started zoning, seeing Lucille in front of me. "Scott? Eliana? Scott! Eliana!"