44

Eliana's POV:

I found my dad sitting at the kitchen table, holding his head in his hands. He reeked of despair.

"Dad, what's wrong?" I asked.

My dad glanced up and smiled. "Nothing's wrong, Eliana. I'm tired. That's all."

"Bullshit. I know when you're lying to me."

"Language." He sighed. "I took my leave from the station."

"You what?"

"With everything going on, Sheriff Stilinski and I decided it'd be best to take our leave."

"But you love helping the town."

"I know, Ella. I know. But I have to do what's best for my family."

"What's best for your family? No, you're falling into old behaviors. Deep down, you're nothing but a coward."

"Eliana Rose Hart! You will not speak to me like that."

"Then go back to the station and get your job back!"

"I can't right now, Eliana."

"Whatever."

I made my way to my room and my phone buzzed with a text. I checked to see who'd texted me.

Scott had texted saying he was outside, ready to get me.

As I walked down the stairs, I heard my dad say, "Noah, are you sure Eichen is the best place for him?" ... "Okay, if you're sure. I hope it's not what you're fearing." ... "Yeah. Good luck."

I snuck past my dad and hopped on the back of Scott's motorcycle. He handed me and helmet and I put it on. He revved the engine and we drove off.

Scott and I arrived outside Eichen House on his motorcycle and he took off his helmet. "Why didn't you tell me or Ella?"

I glanced at Scott. "Actually, I already knew. I overheard my dad talking to the sheriff."

Sheriff Stilinski sighed. "Because I wanted to avoid something like this. Eliana, I'm disappointed to say that I'm not surprised. You've learned a lot from my son, and not all of it is good."

Stiles looked at me and Scott. "It's only 72 hours."

I pointed at the building and frowned. "In there. Where Barrow came from. Remember that guy? He had a tumor that exploded flies." I turned to the sheriff. "There's a lot you don't know yet."

Sheriff Stilinski glanced between us before focusing on me. "I know enough. Nogitsunes, kitsunes, Oni, or whatever they're called."

Stiles turned to his dad and said proudly, "Wow. That was actually all surprisingly correct."

"Scott, Eliana, I saw an MRI that looked exactly like my wife's. And it terrifies me. I'm headed over to L.A. tomorrow to talk to a specialist."

Scott frowned. "Then why are you putting him in here?"

Stiles turned to his friend. "He's not. It was my decision."

I crossed my arms. "Yeah, well, it's a stupid decision."

Scott glanced at me. "I agree with her. Stiles, we can't help you if you're in there."

Stiles sighed. "And I can't hurt either of you."

I looked at Stiles and offered a small smile. "We'll find something. Deaton's got some ideas, and Argent's calling people. I'm sure my dad could do something, too. We'll figure it out."

"If we can't-" Scott began.

Stiles shook his head, cutting Scott off. "If you can't... If you can't, then you have to do something for me, okay? Make sure I never get out."