73

[Enjoy the first of Ella's double updates!]

Eliana's POV:

That evening, we drove in the Jeep and I smelled something weird. "What the fuck is that?"

Scott sighed. "Man, I think the Jeep's overheating again. Should we pull over and put more antifreeze in it?"

Stiles let out a sigh and replied, "No, we can just turn the heat on." The air began blowing and he asked, "You find anything yet?"

Scott nodded. "The stuff I found, was mostly the same stuff you already knew." He read from a book. ""Damnatio Memoriae was a Roman practice, a government decree to destroy the images of the damned. And they would scratch their names from inscriptions, chisel their face off of statues. The Romans believed it was a punishment worse than death."

"Being forgotten," I clarified.

Scott nodded. "Listen to this. "Damnatio Memoriae, was later used on a serial killer in 1598, known as the Demon Tablet. He lured children into his shop in Paris where he would kill them and boil the flash off their bones to eat. The courts believed the crimes so horrible, they ordered all the documents destroyed. To this day, no one knows his real name.""

Stiles frowned. "So the Dread Doctors resurrected a killer who was so bad that he had to literally be erased from history."

"A killer that became a werewolf. Which probably made him a better killer."

"That's great."

Scott took over the wheel and pulled up to a gas station. Stiles explained to Scott how he'd killed Donovan and I stepped out of the Jeep.

I crossed my arms. "Why couldn't you tell me or Scott that before?"

He sighed. "I was scared, Ella."

"Well you shouldn't be scared to tell the truth."

He nodded and the three of us got back into the Jeep. We drove to Shiprock and noticed a storm brewing over the mountain with lightning and rolling clouds. Stiles stepped on the gas and we reached our destination. "Hey, Scott. Scott. Take a look at this."

Scott noticed a girl and asked, "What the hell do you think's happening to her out there?"

After a moment, he asked, "Hey, Stiles, Ella, do you two see that?"

Stiles and I looked closer and said, "It's Kira."

Scott rolled out of the moving vehicle and landed on his feet. He growled at one of the creatures; Skinwalkers.

A spear was thrown at the Jeep, but Mrs. Yukimura split the spear, causing it to fall to the ground. Mrs. Yukimura got into the Jeep and Stiles asked, "Everyone okay?"

Scott smiled at Kira. "You came back."

"I love you," Kira said. "I love you so much."

I glanced away from the scene. Over the course of the current events, I realized how much I missed Derek. Stiles' words from what seemed so long ago resonated in my head; that he loved me. I wouldn't say I necessarily loved Derek, but I definitely liked him. And maybe, just maybe, it was veering towards love.

My phone chimed with a text from Derek. Well, speak of the devil. 'Hope you're staying safe and not getting into too much trouble'

Sometimes a little goes a long way.

---

That evening, while I was at dinner, I got a text from Scott. "Deucalion's still kicking."

Evan growled softly. "After what he did, recruiting Lucille and all, I oughta rip his throat out."

"With your teeth?" I joked.

"How else?"

Dad frowned. "Eliana, Evan, can we just eat without talking about hurting people?"

Evan and I exchanged a look and nodded. "Yeah."

"Good. Eat your dinner, you two."