51

Eliana's POV:

I leaned against the bleachers while Scott and Stiles talked. Stiles was reassuring Scott. "Of course you're still the team captain. You got your grades up just like Coach told you to, right?"

Scott nodded. "Yeah, but he never told me I was back on the team. He just told me to show up at tryouts today."

Stiles shrugged. "We got bigger things to deal with anyway. Did you tell Argent yet?"

"Ah. I texted him, but he didn't get back to me."

I frowned. "Oh, wow. You told Argent that his psycho sister wasn't dead through a text. That's really great."

He turned to me and glared. "Thanks, Ella. Really appreciate that. I didn't have the money to call France."

"You could have asked. Or you could've had my dad do it. I'm sure he would've been happy to help. Now, pardon me, but I need to get some things for class. Next time, just ask instead of making a boneheaded move like that."

I made my way to my locker and grabbed my books for math. Yay. I love math... Not. Math sucks. A lot.

The bell rang and as I was walking to math, I saw Malia walk into the classroom and exit almost immediately. If I had to go to math, Malia had to go to math.

I grabbed Malia's shoulders and pushed her back into the classroom. She shot me a frown. "I hate math. It's pointless."

"You're not wrong, but, sadly, math is essential to life."

"To what?"

"Knowing how to tip at restaurants," Stiles said from behind me.

Lydia frowned at him. "And other less important things like medicine, economics, engineering..."

"Tipping," Stiles interrupted.

I rolled my eyes. "Okay, stow the flirting. Math is essential to all those things, is what they're trying to say."

Mrs. Fleming started class. "All right, volunteers to the board. Lydia, Diego, Malia."

Malia glanced up and frowned. "Um... I didn't volunteer."

Mrs. Fleming gave her a small smile. "You did now. To the board."

She and Lydia talked with each other while I leaned back, hoping that math would end soon.

As soon as it did, Malia, Kira and I made our way to the lacrosse field.

I noticed a kid who was kicking everyone's ass; including Scott's. The kid was good, but I wanted my friends to knock him down a peg or two. Is that bad?

Malia frowned at Kira. "What's wrong with you?" She turned to look at me. "You've got a scary determined look. I don't like it."

Kira frowned. "Me? Nothing."

Malia turned back to her. "You reek of anxiety. And it's distracting. What's going on?"

Kira bit her lip nervously. "Scott and I sort of had this thing happen. But it wasn't much of a thing. And I'm starting to think it never was anything at all."

"What do you want it to be?" Malia questioned bluntly.

"More."

We turned back to watch the field and the freshman was still kicking everyone's ass. Kira asked, "Isn't the captain supposed to be one of the best players on the team? Or good?"

I frowned. "Yes to both. What the hell is going on with him?"

The game suddenly seemed to click with Scott and Stiles and Coach cried, "That's my boys! Those two are like sons to me."

"Yes!" Kira cheered loudly.

As soon as the freshman wonder walked up, he did a twisting maneuver. "That was luck!" Malia cried. "Do over!"

I nodded and pointed to Malia. "Yeah, do over!"

Coach made his way over to them and said, "Sweetheart, there's no do overs. This is practice. Hart, you know that."

Malia said with determination, "Ten bucks on Scott and Stiles."

Coach smirked. "I'll take that action. Hey! Get back in there, Liam."

The boy did so and Scott ran a second time and flipped Liam. The latter stood, but it was obvious he was in pain. The boys decided to take him to the nurse and I jumped down to follow. If they were going to do another idiotic thing, I wanted to be there to stop him.

After examining him, the nurse said, "He has a bad sprain. It'd be best if he were to go to the hospital."

We took him to the hospital to make sure he was okay. Scott talked to Kira before they took Liam to the hospital.

When we got there, Melissa walked up to them. Scott smiled awkwardly at his mom. "Uh... Hi, Mom."

Melissa smiled at Liam as she wheeled him away. She leaned down and said something to him.

We left and Stiles told us he was going to help Malia study.

Scott said, "Sure. I want to check on him anyway."

I turned to my fellow werewolf friend. "Scott, it wasn't your fault."

He lowered his head. "I don't know."

Stiles frowned. "Scott, if you had used any wolf power, that kid wouldn't be limping; he'd be crawling back to the other half of his body."

Scott shook his head. "If I hadn't been so worried about being captain, he wouldn't be hurt either."

I patted Scott's shoulder. "You're half-human, Scott, just like me. It's okay to do things for yourself every once in a while."

"Maybe you should take your own advice."

"Eh, maybe."

I made my way home to get started on homework. I had a lot to do, and the small detour hadn't helped.

Hopefully the kid would be okay.