13

Season Two

Eliana's POV:

I threw on shoes and rushed out the door.

Derek followed and asked, "What are you doing? Where are you going?"

I turned to him. "Lydia got hurt and I haven't been able to see her and I need to know if she's okay. I feel terrible that I haven't visited her. We've been best friends since second grade and you think I'd know sooner that she wasn't okay! She has to be okay! She has to!"

Derek nodded. "Okay, we'll go see if she's okay."

"We?"

"Yeah. You sort of need a ride, and after what happened the other night, I'm not letting you out of my sight."

"That sounds a bit possessive, don't you think?"

He chuckled. "All in good measure."

We made our way to the hospital and I ran to Lydia's room. She was lying comatose in her bed. Unfortunately, there was only another hour for visiting, so I stayed as long as I could.

Melissa McCall led me out and asked, "Do you have a ride, Eliana?"

I nodded. "Thanks, Melissa."

She smiled. "Let me know if there's anything I can do for you, okay?"

"Okay. I will."

I walked back to Derek's Camaro and sighed as I climbed in.

"What's wrong?" Derek asked.

I glanced at him. "She's unconscious. They don't know what's wrong with her. She should be dead, but she's not. And I don't smell werewolf, so I have no idea what she is. That I think is what worries me most. Things are changing too quickly. School, Lucille, Scott, Lydia, even you. It's all too much and I don't know what to do. What do you think? What should I do?"

He offered a hug, but I rejected. "Fine. Relax, Ella. She'll be okay. Lydia is strong. She'll come out of this."

I scoffed and growled softly. I wanted to believe him, but I'd seen enough in my life to think pessimistically.

We drove to Derek's in silence and my phone rang.

I answered. "What, Stilinski?"

"Lydia's gone! Ella, I-I don't know where she is. She escaped through a window."

"Disappeared? Missing? Is she all right?"

"No! She's not!"

"Right. Sorry. Thanks, Stiles."

I hung up and turned to Derek. "Lydia's missing. She disappeared from the hospital and no one knows where she is. If something happens to her--I should have been at that dance! Maybe I could have saved her from whatever the hell happened to her!"

Derek met my eyes. "Ella, you couldn't have known. No one could have. Come on. You've got school."

He laughed as I grumbled about school being stupid and how I didn't think I needed it.

When we got to school, I followed Derek as he walked towards Jackson.

"What are you doing?" Derek asked.

"It's my free period," I replied. "I can do whatever I want."

"Walking into the boys bathroom? You're weird."

I shrugged as Jackson said, "Oh, I'm fine, Danny. Just go back to class. Just give me a second, okay? I said give me a freakin' second! Derek. Eliana."