3| First Lesson

I found myself seated beside Monica and Ollie at the Gryffindor table in the Great Hall

I found myself seated beside Monica and Ollie at the Gryffindor table in the Great Hall. The familiar floating candles above my head, and the excited chatter of the students making me feel comfortable and relieved — just as it always did for my previous years.

I was back at Hogwarts. My home.

After the sorting ceremony, and some students were sorted into Gryffindor who we all warmly welcomed to seat beside us and into our house, Dumbledore rose from his seat and stood up to give his annual speech.

But this time, his speech was — quite different.

"Welcome!' he said , "Welcome to another year at Hogwarts! I have a few things to say to you all, and as one of them is very serious, I think it best to get it out of the way before you become befuddled by our excellent feast ..." Dumbledore cleared his throat and continued. "As you will all be aware after their search of the Hogwarts Express, our school is presently playing host to some of the Dementors of Azkaban, who are here on Ministry of Magic business."

There was a deafening silence in the Great Hall, nobody dared to say a word after Dumbledore had said those words. My eyes widened and I felt my lips trembling and my heart was beating fast.

I thought back to the posters of my brother, scattered nearly every surface of Diagon Alley. Apparently, every Muggle in Great Britain were warned that he was dangerous. Looking at the posters made my heart ache, his dark hair untidy and matted. His eyes were dark and wild, deep circles under them.

His soundless screams, which further added the pain in my heart. I felt his screams through me, for some reason. I heard students muttering to each other (mostly the Slytherins), about my relation to Sirius, which made me shudder but I focused once more at Dumbledore.

He explained the nature of the Dementors. Since I studied them in my sixth year, I already had knowledge about them and their nature, but still I listened to the elderly Headmaster with everyone else.

"I look to the Prefects, and our new Head Boy and Girl, to make sure that no student runs foul of the Dementors." Dumbledore continued.

Percy, who was seated two seats away from me, puffed out his chest to reveal his Head Boy badge and stared around, with a face of impressiveness and pompousness. I rolled my eyes, wanting to hit my face hard on the table.

"Just ignore him." Monica whispered to my ear.

Dumbledore once again paused, looking at all the students with seriousness. Nobody dared to make a sound or move again.

"On a happier note,"Dumbledore continued at last, "I am pleased to welcome two new teachers to our ranks this year. Firstly, Professor Lupin, who has kindly consented to fill the post of Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher."