50| The Third and Final Task

Why wasn't I stopping this? Worse than that, why couldn't I find in myself even the desire to want to stop? But it felt – strangely good

His hands clung to my shoulders as our lips met. Then, I forcefully ended it, biting my lip and looked away from George who looked rather shocked yet unsure.

"George," I said quitely, finally looking at his eyes hesitantly. "I can't. We're better off as friends."

I stood from the ground and headed back to the castle, George behind my back. I wiped my lips with force; although I did not wish for that to happen, it somehow felt nice. I have not experienced that feeling in ages.

But the question remained: Was George really just a friend or more?

My only answer now would be no. George and I had been friends ever since he started attending Hogwarts, and we had a connection. A brotherly-sisterly connection. I only saw him as a friend, and a brother. I had no special feelings for him or whatsover.

I knew perfectly well that George had feeling for me for a while, but I did not return it.

But still I was afraid that I might have had
hurt George's feelings for me.

Dinner was already happening in the Great Hall. The room was more packed than before, not just with the staff and students of Hogwarts but with the students from Durmstrang and Beauxbatons and their head of schools, the parents of the champions and some of the officials from the Ministry.

"Where have you two been?" Ginny asked, once George and I arrived at the table.

"Just a chat by the lake." said George quickly, before I could even reply. I looked at him, and he flashed a small smile at me.

The table had more meals than usual, and I immediately helped myself, very hungry after the whole afternoon. George and I said only a few words to each other, both of us still a bit awkward from the incident earlier but I kept smiling at his jokes.

As I scooped a spoonful of mashed potatoes, my eye caught two familiar figures seating at the staff table. Ludo Bagman, who I have seen several times in the Ministry and he worked as Head of the Department of Magical Games and Sports was present and looked very energetic. And Cornelius Fudge, the Minister of Magic, however, was looking rather rigorous and was not speaking at all.

Then after a few minutes, Dumbledore had risen from his seat at the staff table and a deafening silence spread across the Great Hall, nobody dared to speak a word.

"Ladies and gentlemen, in five minutes' time, I will be asking you to make your way down to the Quidditch pitch for the third and last task of the Triwizard Tournament. Will the champions please follow Mr Bagman down to the stadium now."

Harry slowly rose from his seat, and looked nervous. The Gryffindor table roared with applause and the Weasleys and Hermione wished him good luck.