33| Exams

June was now here, much quicker than all of us had anticipated

June was now here, much quicker than all of us had anticipated. The days became cloudless and sultry, and all anybody felt like doing was strolling into the grounds and flopping down on the grass with several pints of iced pumpkin juice, perhaps playing a casual game of Gobstones or — daydreaming.

But we couldn't. The exams were around the corner, and instead of lazing around and doing whatever we wanted to do, we were all forced to stay in the castle, reviewing and reviewing all day. Even Fred and George were spotted working; they were about to take their O.W.Ls.

The exams were tomorrow and I spent the whole day studying and studying. Fun isn't it? I was stuck in my dormitory, sitted on my bed with a pile of books scattered on my bed and even the floor; Monica was doing the same thing as well but she tried to convince me to at least take a break but I constantly declined. To the point that she teased me, saying that my eyebrows might burn because of my intense studying. But I just ignored her.

I did take a few minutes of rest. During lunch and during dinner.

Shortly after dinner, I rested for 15 minutes and went back to the common room to study.

Around 10:00 in the evening, I had already finished reading each textbooks. I had to admit my eyes were a bit tired and I immediately threw myself on the bed, releasing a severe sigh and Monica was about to drift off to sleep.

I was about to fall asleep when the sound of tapping coming from the window, and a squawk. With a low groan, I staggered out of my bed and into the window. Looking out I was quite surprised at what I saw: Lucy, Andy and Ted's barn owl who was looking very vibrant as ever and began screeching loudly before opening the window to let her in.

Lucy came flying excitedly towards me once I let her in. A rather huge parcel was clasped between her beak and she gave it to me.
"Thanks." I mumbled, stroking her head in affection as I tore the parcel open very carefully. The first thing I saw was a box of good luck cards along with a letter. With the words Selene inscribed on the outside. I quickly read the letter.

Selene,

Good luck tomorrow and for the rest of the week! The three of  us are so proud of you, and always will be. Just believe in yourself, we know you will do brilliantly just like you always do and we can't to hear about your results. Don't stress yourself, and don't be pessimistic. We've brought you some good luck cards, a bit childish but we hope you appreciate it.

Please send your friends our love and wishes as well!

Lots of love,
Andy, Ted and Tonks

I felt a smile forming in my lips and folded the letter and putting it on the first drawer of my nightstand as well as the bunch of good luck cards.

"Andy and Ted wishes you and the boys good luck." I said to Monica, trying my hair into a messy bun as she beamed.

"I can't believe it," Monica breathed. "Our last exams before we graduate."

"I know right." I chuckled.

~oOo~

"Well, this is it." Luke sighed, checking his watch as the four of us exited the common room.

"It'll be alright. Er, good luck you lot." Ollie said firmly, sending Monica, Luke and I into encouraging smiles as we made our way to the Great Hall to have breakfast.

As we descended from the Gryffindor common room, all we heard was the timid chatter of the students throughout the halls. Some were muttering charms to themselves, which I assumed had to do with either Defence Against the Dark Arts or Charms. Some were still reviewing and looked as though they were about to faint. And some – were, well, asking one another if they reviewed properly to which some replied yes and some replied no.

Relax, Selene, they're only exams, I thought to myself, They won't kill you

"Selene, a letter for you." Monica said all of a sudden. The three of us looked up, and a familiar owl was flying towards me with a short envelope braced between his beak. I quickly stretched out my arm and the owl immediately landed safely on it and gave me the envelope, flying away after about a second.

The letter was unaddressed. Yet I knew exactly who was it from.

"Who is it from?" Luke asked curiously.

"Er, you three go ahead. I-I forgot something in my dormitory. I'll be back in a minute." I said as the three of them nodded and left.

I quickly walked towards the desserted hallway, knowing that it was the perfect place where I wouldn't be disturbed by any passing student or teacher.

And I knew that my guess was correct once I opened the letter, and saw the first letter of the handwriting.

Wishing you all the luck in the world. Put your best effort on your exams. These exams are your opportunity at proving your worth to everyone around you; grab it and do your best. The days you spent studying has led up to this day, and I am very confident you will give your best shot. Don't doubt your proficiency, your vitalities and most importantly — yourself.

Sincerely yours.

RJL

I felt my heart growing more radiant and all the weight and anxiety for today fading away as I instantly folded Remus's letter and placed it on my bag, heading towards the Great Hall.

Today's breakfast was a quiet occurrence and before I even knew it, I found myself fitted in a room with more than a hundred smaller tables, all facing the same way, at each of which sat a student, parchment on each of our tables and placed in front of us along with a pot of ink and quills that were distributed to each of us.

I felt my heart pounding slightly as I bit my lip.

"You may now begin"

I grabbed my quill and lunged it into the pot of ink. Totally ready for the first of my last examinations.

After hours, all of our heads shot up in the air as we heard the clock chime. All of us sighed in relief, standing from our seats and we all flooded out of the room. As we exited the room, the only sights we saw were the students' hands trembling from writing and the only sounds we heard were people crying and the discussion on what they had wrote and encountered on their test papers.

"Not as bad as I expected." Monica mused, shaking her shivering hand endlessly as we made our way to eat before our exam in Transfiguration (my third favorite subject).

"Five more left until this is all over!" Luke grinned, running a hand through his curly hair.

"Six for me." I smirked, as we entered the Great Hall and slid into our respective seats at the bustling Gryffindor Table as students kept talking about exams.