40| And Everything Fell Into Pieces

I woke up to the distant sound of somebody reaching, the sound was quite fuzzy to my ears

I woke up to the distant sound of somebody reaching, the sound was quite fuzzy to my ears. I repeatedly blinked and wiped the sleep out of my eyes and looked around.

I was in the Hospital Wing, lying on one of the beds, the blanket covering up to my waist as I pondered to myself how in the world did I even wound up here in the first place.

Then, looking out the window, the Shrieking Shack quite visible at a distance brought memories of last night and the reason how I ended up here.

The last thing I heard last night was somebody – an animal howling as a dog was moaning in agony.

There was a curtain drawn halfway around my bed and a cart passing by. Pulling my eyes away from a fourth year student retching into the bucket that he was holding across the room of the infirmary, I groaned, feeling an unfamiliar stinging pain in my chest and something smooth around it.

"Good morning, Ms. Black."

I turned my head around, Madam Pomfrey made her way toward my bed and carrying a cart which had a box containing bandages and holding a vial."

"Hi." I muttered awkwardly.

"How are you feeling?" she asked me, pouring the content of the vial into a small cup her hand was holding and handed it to me; I took it without hesitation nor questions, groaning at the bitterly sour flavor of the concoction.

"Fine," I said grimly. "I guess, but, I felt a pain in my chest. And – I don't exactly recall what happened last night. All I remember seeing a wolf and sharp nails scratching my –"

I immediately paused and looked at my bandaged chest.

"Did, did he?" I croaked.

"I'm afraid so, Ms. Black. Apparently, Professor Lupin had scratched your chest the previous night, and –" replied Madam Pomfrey.

"Am I- I going t-to be a ... werewolf?"

"I'm afraid not, you see, you will only become a fully-fledged werewolf should one bite you when it is transformed. But although Professor Lupin was transformed, he did not bite you."

I sighed in relief.

"But, you will possess some wolfish tendenices, most especially during the full moon. Such as craving for raw meat. But what's important, is that you are not a fully-fledged werewolf." said Madam Pomfrey.

My face went pale and I bit my lip nervously.

She instantly went over to my side and instructed me to take off my shirt so that she could change the bandages wrapped around my chest. Once I awkwardly did so, I could see, that they were quite thick yet I could still see a shade of crimson – blood seeping through.

After Madam Pomfrey changed my bandages, she let me rest for a couple of minutes.

"Professor Dumbledore!" Madam Pomfrey exclaimed all of a sudden.