47| The Beginning of The Auror Life

I stood in the Auror Office, located on level two of the Ministry of Magic with my hair down, black boots and a green woolly jumper with my robes hanging on the chair of the office

"So ... Black —" Gawain Robards was saying.

"Selene. Just call me Selene." I corrected."

"Hmm, I prefer Black instead so I'm going to have to use it from now on ... you'll needed these for studying. 35 galleons for the lot to start off. Aside from these books, you'll need others, of course but this will get you through the first while." he continued, nodding to an assortment of thick books and was busy scribbling something on a piece of parchment.

"35," I echoed, looking intently at the pile of books stacked on Robards' cubicle. "Got it."

Luckily I had enough money to buy everything I needed for my Auror training
because my Uncle Alphard Black left my brothers and I our shares of the Black Family's inheritance in case something happened to our parents.

Tonks was sitting by her cubicle which was just next Robards' as she was listening attentively as well.

"Alright then," Robards said, and he flicked his wand at the books as the books flew to the nearby bookshelf and placed scrolls of parchment that came from his drawer into his desk. "All you have to do is to sign – this. Some stuff for your training, and I'm very sure that you are aware of the mortal peril you will face as an Auror."

I blinked repeatedly and gulped.

"That's what makes being an Auror very fun, Selene. Mortal peril and all those stuff." said Tonks a bright smile spreading across her face.

I opened the scrolls and looked at them with awe and curiosity as I saw Robards rolling his eyes in annoyance as Tonks laughed giddily from the corner of my eye, trying to hide a smile.

"Your courses will start right away, were Concealment and Disguise and Stealth and Tracking, Battle Instinct, Best-Laid Plans, Duelling in the Dark, Field Training, History of the Dark Arts, Resilience Training, The Auror Advantage, Charms, and Poisons and Andtidotes — just to name a few. For the next two years, you have to pass every single course and there will be final tests at the end–" Robards said, pointing at the first opened scroll.

"Final tests?" I said incredulously.

"If you last long." said Robards grimly.

"Oh..."

"Now, majority of your training will be spent with Tonks since she's our newest recruit, and I expect you to look after Selene here and shape her up to be one of the best Aurors here, is that clear Tonks?" said Robards, then turning to Tonks.

"Yeah, yeah, yeah I get it. Asking too much?" said Tonks, a bit annoyed now.

"Come on, we start today. We'll start off with the basics, History of the Dark Arts." said Robards.