Chapter 31

Bethany's POV

After staring down at the letter in my hands for a solid 10 minutes, I decided I was an idiot for ever doubting whatever it was that we had. I wasn't aware if we still had it or not, but if I could save it before it went up in flames, I knew I had to try.

The note made my heart swell and the small meaningful words. He had remembered a dress that I hadn't even spoke about. I guess I must have smiled pretty big at the damn dress to have left an impression in Harry's head. It was crazy how as few as a couple seconds could change somone's thought process. It was crazy that those very few seconds had changed his view of things completely. It was crazy that those few seconds changed him and how they were changing me too.

I had decided to fix what I had fucked up. Sure, Harry had said some shit that was completely unecessary, but everyone says shit they don't mean when they're upset. I didn't understand how hearing someone say such harsh words to me would effect me in ways that made me feel small, but they did. I was used to it from people who did it on the daily... but when people like Harry said things like that, my heart felt like it had been ripped out of my body and torn to pieces.

When I put the gown on, I felt confident. There was something about the dress that made every curve sick out in the right place and every imperfection hide in the material. I didn't understand how something as simple as a dress could make someone feel so beautiful until I realized the meaning behind it. It made me feel beautiful because of Harry. It made me feel happy, because of Harry.

He had been an asshole to me, but I wasn't about to let him go because I couldn't take a few dick-headed words from him. That was the way Harry fought, and quite frankly, I knew I was going to have to get used to it. When he didn't have any argument as to why he was right, he would take digs at you to make you feel littler about yourself. He had this sense of power that he always seemed to need, but I wasn't going to let him have it.

Yeah, my parents are dead, and the man I once thought I would marry is dead to me pretty much, but rather than that, my life was okay. Sure, I didn't have a family, and sure, my 'boyfriend' was a cocky asshole, but that's how my life was. And surely, this life was a lot better than other people in the world.

I had a job, a very good job at that. I had a home, and a very nice home at that. I had people who cared for me, even if they weren't my family... they still cared and they were still there for me. I had clothes and food and I was in good health. My life was a lot better than other people's, and that I knew was better then a lot of things.

Sure, I would always find it unfair that my loved ones were taken away from me so easily, but I wasn't going to allow myself to dwell on it anymore. I wasn't going to waist my time in the past, hoping none of this happened. It happened for a reason, and although that reason is still unknown to me, I will always be awaiting that answer.

I wasn't going to let him get away that easily. Saying that he wasn't going to try was unfair. He was new to this, and he was doing fine. I needed to show him I still did want this. I still wanted to be with him. I wanted to be with him for the sake of my sanity.

When I arrived at the gala on my own, there was a storm of lights flashing and screaming questions. I prayed he wouldn't be on the carpet yet. Sure, I was suppose to arrive with him, but arriving on my own to surprise him was just as good.

A manager came up to me, telling me they could make room at a table for me if need be. I agreed, but that didn't stop the curiosity running through my head. Did he tell them I wasn't coming anymore? The gala people should have had a seat still reserved for me...

I began to pose on the carpet. Every few seconds I would change my position towards the camera, making sure everyone saw the details of the dress. The exposure of my back and the valley between my chest was enough to make people's stares linger too long. It was sexy, but in the classiest way it could be. The long sleeve on one arm made the dress more modest than some would say, but in my opinion, I thought it just went along well with the details of the dress.