Chapter 6

Bethany's POV

Pain- it was all I felt. There wasn't anything in the world that could make me feel better at this point. My body felt like it was being stabbed over and over. Yet, there was nothing that would stop it. There was this little pain in my chest that would spring up everytime I'd think about him and how I waisted two years of my life loving an asshole like him. Sure, he wasn't like that the whole time, but he fell out of love with me.

It was Monday now. Almost a week since everything happened- almost a week since I've left my house and shown up for work. Sure, there was still this constricting feeling in my chest that made it seem as if I couldn't breath, but I knew I had to push through it. I was too responsible for too many people. There were too many workers that needed to make sure they had a paycheck at the end of the week to feed their families and pay the bills. I was responsible for all of that. I was 20, and I was responsible for making sure that everyone was able to get through.

I sucked it up this morning, and finally got out of bed. I felt disgusting really. My hair was gross enough to grease up three pans for cooking and I knew I smelt bad. I smelt so bad, I could smell myself. I looked like a mess when I checked myself in the mirror. My eyes were red, my face pale with bags under my eyes. I felt weak, probably from not eating much in the past five days.

I took some make up, and made my face look presentable after I took a long, steamy shower. My hair was dried, but I didn't brush it. It looked fine when it was messy, something I loved about it. I needed to eat though, so I threw a robe on and headed downstairs to the kitchen. I ate a few things, mostly fruits and a bowl of oatmeal. I needed to look more awake if I was going to show up for work.

My attire was simple, but it had it's professional business woman undertones to it. It wa a white shirt that flared out at the bottom with a pair of black leggings. The accessories were just as simple as the rest of the outfit- a black necklace with a gold bracelet and black stiletto heals. The black clutch that held a simple gold clasp made the entire outfit fit together.

I grabbed my phone and headed to my car. The white range rover was waiting out front for me, something I always appreciated about my doorman. He would bring it to the front of my building so I wouldn't have to drive it around in the garage.

It was very warm out in LA. Sure it was late in May and the weather was suppose to become warmer, but it was the warmest it had been in a while. The sun was shining, and there was a small breeze. People were walking around with sunglasses on their faces and hats on their heads.

I hopped in the car and began my 10 minute drive towards Smith Inc.. The traffic seemed to be lessened, probably due to the amount of people who decided to walk today instead of drive. Sometimes, I'd fall in a daze and forget I was at a stoplight, only to be honked at constantly. I tried to focus on the road, but my mind would always move back to Chace.

I got to my office somehow in one piece and walked straight towards the elevator. The ride up was quiet, only the sound of boring elevator music playing in the background. I arrived on the top floor, and walked out into the lobby. I was greeted by sad smiles from the receptionists before returning a small smile of my own. My assistant was in her office, typing away on her computer.

She was older than me, but not by much. She was about 23, a single mom living on her own in the city. Her name was Vanessa, and she was one of the nicest people that I had ever met. Her hair was dark brown, stopping below her shoulders. It was a deep contrast with her blue eyes and pale skin. She was friendly though, and stayed in her business.

"Hey Vanessa. Um... I'm back. Could you catch me up on what I missed in about half an hour. I just need to get ready for the day and then we can talk?" I ask, startling her a bit as she gasped and looked away from the screen.