Chapter 50

Bethany's POV

"Michael-" his raspy voice cut through the air like a knife. All the attention was on him, and the tension in the room was reaching limits higher than I imagined.

"I don't think there is a point to yell at her... She is just simply becoming who she always wanted to be. Or, rather, who she really is." I was shocked by his statement. It was odd having someone stick up for me like this, but I didn't really mind it.

"You're turning her into something that no grandparent would ever want to see their grandchild become!" My grandpa lashes out quickly, no pause between insults at all.

"I'm not trying to change her for the worst. I'm trying to change her so she's happy. And if you couldn't tell, I can. She's happier and she's more alive. She's having fun and enjoying her life. That was something that got taken away from her at a very early and undeserving age."

My grandpa didn't reply. I don't think he knew how. His Mouth was open and his breathing was deep. No one had the balls to say anything, until Harry popped in again to voice his opinion.

"Now, you were very quick to judge me. I would think you would be happy with me if your granddaughter is happy, but to be honest, you seem to only care about whether or not Smith Inc. is doing well or not. Why should that matter? She's the last relative you have, and you should want her to be happy forever. If not, it proves a point saying you don't love her as much as you love your damn reputation."

I was completely stunned. You couldn't hear a pin drop in the room. There was nothing to say. There was nothing my grandpa could say. He was probably appalled that Harry would speak to him in such a manner, but I was glad he did. He was saying things I had always wanted to say, but never had the damn courage to.

"I'm sorry if this makes your impression of me worse than it already seemed to be, but I cannot sit here, and watch someone I care about so much be tortured like this." Harry's hand was gripping mine tightly under the table. I could tell he was about to lose his calm state of mind, and I was his anchor to keep him there.

"I don't think you have a reason not to like me. You see tabloids where the press makes me look like absolute shit, but I'm not that person. I have my moments, but I'm not as bad as I'm made out to be. I hate being judged by the cover stories of magazines. You should get to know me before you insult me like that. To me that makes your reputation seem like crap. No one likes a judgmental human being, so maybe you should get to know me before you refuse to let your granddaughter be with the one thing that's made her happy in 2 and a half years."

I watched as he stood up from his chair, silently excusing himself and sauntering out of the room. He was polite enough not to slam the doors to the balcony and give us some privacy.

I watched my grandpas head hang low and his fingers fiddling with each other. He was embarrassed and he was upset he had nothing to say back.

"You shouldn't judge him so quickly." the words came out of my mouth before I could stop them. His eyes met mine and all I saw was sadness.

"You deserve better than that. He's going to hurt you. I can tell. That's what pop stars fucking do."

"You have to give everyone a chance. It's not fair to treat him like he's trash. He's making me happy and he's making me who I really am. I'm sorry if that's not the person you like, but I'm going to be me whether you like it or not."

"I want you to be you, I do. But I want you to be the best you. I want you to live up to your potential!" He was aggravated as he spoke, but i pressed on.

"No you want me to be your ideal little granddaughter, and that's just not who I am. I'm doing everything in my power to balance out my life, and I'd say I'm doing it pretty well. Just let me be happy."