Chapter 12

Bethany's POV

I was walking towards my front door and checking through the mail I had recieved today. After each envelope, I'd continue to move it to the back of the pile stacked in my hands. I'd pass through a few magazines which I made a mental note to cancel. Since when did I shop at Men's Wearhouse...?

The last letter I saw was when I was finally standing in my kitchen. The rest of the mail fell out of my hand and straight onto the counter. My bag had dropped to floor, along with the rest of the insides of my body. Pretty sure my stomach and heart had left my body and landed straight on the floor infront of my feet.

The sender: Chace.

I set the letter down on the counter ontop of the rest of the mail. I was physically holding onto the granite counter top, knowing if I let go just yet, that I'd fall to the floor. I had to steady my breathing, slowing inhaling through my nose and exhaling through my mouth. When I was ready, I pushed myself away from the countertop and made my way up the stairs.

In my room, I slipped off my shirt and leggings I had worn today. I threw on a sports bra and a pair of sweats before washing all the make up off my face. I wanted to be ready for bed, because for some reason I knew this letter wasn't just some simple invitation or something. It was handwritten, and that's what made me feel completely nauseous.

As I padded down the stairs, I walked slowly towards the kitchen before grabbing the letter of the counter and getting my letter opener out of the drawer. My hands were shaking so much, I feared I was going to cut the letter along with the envelope. I had to breath again before quickly ripping the letter open and pulling the paper out.

And then, I began to read...

Bethany-

There is so much I've wanted to say to you in the past week, but I knew I'd never get contact with you. There's so much I'm about to say and so much I'm about to explain... but I know that it won't be easy to read. I know you, and emotional letters have never really seemed to be you thing. So I'm sorry for the hurt, or well more hurt I'm about to bring to you.

I owe you an explanation for when this all started. I owe it to you, and I owe it to myself as well. What I did was incredibly selfish, and although I thought I was doing all that for the benefit of you, I know now how wrong I was. I can't say how sorry I am and how much I regret everything I did to you. You never deserved to be hurt as much as you were.

I was suppose to be the one who made sure you were free of pain. Well, maybe not free of it. But I was suppose to help maintain it and comfort it if it came around. I wasn't suppose to be the cause of it. I was suppose to be like your safe haven, and I'm sorry that I couldn't fulfill that roll as long as I had led onto doing so.

I know you may question if I ever loved you, but I want you to know how much I did. I loved you since the day I laid eyes on you. We were at your parents charity event and you were sitting at the table on your phone, looking deathly bored. You were wearing a black gown that if I do say so myself, fit you exceptionally. Your hair was down and covered your face, but your blonde hair seemed to light up the dimly lit room. You were like an angel settled in the middle of hell.

It was that day I knew you were special. It was that day I realized I loved you. We had our first conversation after our parents introduced us. It was also the day that my parents began to fight and it was also the day that marked a month before your parents died. You comforted me when we heard my parents fighting in the hallway and you got me out of the party as soon as you could to get my mind off what happened.

We went to that ice cream parlor down on the beach that you loved so much. You ordered chocolate ice cream with gummy worms and I remember thinking that was the absolute weirdest combination I had ever seen. Yet, for some reason, you seemed to suit it so well. You had this corky personality- the one I fell deeply and madly in love with.