4: Play ball!

Chapter 4:

Play ball!

"First practice of the year!" said Akira.

"Nae, you won the championship last year right? I heard you guys were good." said Yukiji.

"We're the best." winked Akira.

"Akira-san! Don't blow it up.... Yukiji-san, didn't you watch us play? Not even once?" said Sora.

Yukiji sighed. "I had a really bad case of the flu around that season. Couldn't play in the qualifiers...."

"Oh....Sorry."

"Hey, it's nothing."

********

"Right, starters off court. Rest of you, divide up into two." said Coach.

Sora, Akira, Eru and Chihaya sat on the bench. Other than the four of them, there were five second years and three first years. Coach wanted to divide them and let them play among themselves. The free spot in the starter line would be filled that way.

The match commenced.

"What do you think about the turnout this year?" said Chihaya.

"Isn't this a bit less than last year...." said Akira.

"I know, kouhai! I thought if we hid coach until canvassing was over we might have had a better chance.... But she just had to come!" said Chihaya grinning.

"Chi-chan! You can't exactly blame the troubles of the world on coach." protested Eru.

"Watch me."

"Eru-senpai's right." said Sora. "Well I hope whoever does turn up are fit enough....."

"Me too, kouhai." said Chihaya. "I hope we grit it out this year..... what on earth?!"

Everyone turned their attention onto the court.

One of the second years had got the ball. She got double-teamed by the two first years. Yukiji had gone to her aid. She took her position just between the two of them successfully holding them off. The second year got through and scored.

"Did she just......like.... mark two people...." said Akira.

"I think coach just found a new starter." said Chihaya.