75: Next

The quarter finals were finals were over. Teiko had successfully pulled through. The team had gathered in the locker room and was waiting for news about their next opponent. Satsuki had agreed to help them out in this aspect. She was yet to arrive at the scene. By the time she did, the team had already changed. Sora noticed that Satsuki had brought Miyu with her and raised her eyebrows. Satsuki simply winked.

"So, kouhai, did you get anything?" said Chihaya.

"Yup! Loads." said Satsuki. "But wait! Miyu-chan here helped me gather the data. So I think she should have the honour of presenting it." Miyu shifted a bit uncomfortably. Chihaya looked at her a bit doubtfully but nodded anyway.

"Don't worry senpai." said Satsuki sensing Chihaya's discomfort. "I know this is an important match and that we can't afford to play around. I'll stay here and supervise her." Chihaya shrugged. "It doesn't matter really kouhai. I know you're busy now. You need to do recon for the guys right? So it doesn't matter if you're busy. We understand....."

Satsuki waved away her words airily. "Nonsense! It's fun to do recon for you guys. Besides, the guys can probably do fine even without the recon." And then she pouted. "That gigantic aho had the guts to even tell me that. So I'm not straining myself." she said flipping her hair.

"Okay...." said Chihaya.

"Now I step aside for Miyu-chan..." said Satsuki with a dramatic gesture and sat next to Sora. "Satsuki-chan, have you adopted her as a sort of trainee?" said Sora.

"It's all for good." said Satsuki dreamily.

"How come you're so convinced?" said Sora.

"I have a great instinct."

Miyu had already started speaking. "...... I had sort of looked up the teams who were playing the quarters so luckily I have the data with me. I enquired at the front desk a bit earlier and also to a few others, so my information is legit..... But anyways, the team you'll probably be facing is Nambara junior high."

"Nambara?" said Sora.

"Yeah." said Miyu turning towards her. "They're from a different block, not Kamiya's like last time.... The management has sort of shifted the match-ups.... God, I'm rambling...."

Sora could see that she was a bit nervous. Miyu was probably afraid that she would mess up the recon for an important match. "Go on..." said Sora gently.

"Sorry. Well, they're not exactly too new in the game. They've made it to the quarters once or twice before and even to the semi once I think..... But I've been in touch with a few players who played the prelims and all with them....."

"How did you find out who they were?" said Akira mystified.

"I had a bit of help from Suki-chan." said Miyu.

"Oh, not at all!" exclaimed Satsuki. "I just gave you a few pointers, that's all."

"Woah. You're like Satsuki 2.0." said Akira looking at Miyu.

"Akira, I think she was trying to tell us something." said Yukiji.

"Oh. Sorry. Continue."

"Well, the point is, the all agreed on one thing." continued Miyu. "Nambara was pretty strong last year, but apparently they've got a new shooting guard. She's the one you need to watch out for."

"Shooting guard huh...." said Chihaya. "Eru, I guess you're up next time..."

Eru shuddered. "I hope I'm up to it."

"Miyu-chan.... Do you have any idea what type of player she is?" questioned Sora.

"Yes."

--------------------------

"And?" demanded Satsuki.

Sora grinned. "You have every right to be proud, momma hen. She'll probably make you proud."

"Don't call me 'momma hen'. That sounds..... old." pouted Satsuki.

"Fine.... Big sister hen.... whatever......"

"So you'll have no trouble from now on." concluded Satsuki happily. "All you need to do is focus on winning."

"Thank you, Satsuki-chan. You've taken so much pain on our behalf."

"Mou! Quit acting formal." said Satsuki. "Besides, it was a bit annoying you know. The boy's didn't exactly need my recon. On the other hand I could really contribute here. I love the girls' team. But I can't leave the boys on their own either.... They're like little kids! So I just had to do something for you guys."

"But Satsuki-chan, she's in the soccer club right..... So how can she..."

Satsuki let out an exasperated sound. She put her hands on Sora's shoulders and wheeled her around so that they faced each other. "For the hundredth time..... my..... instinct. Have some trust!"

"Okay, okay...." said Sora with a grin. "Female instinct wins."

"That's better!"

------------------------

Sora saw the twins on her way out. She decided to go greet them since she had plenty of time on her hands. Akira and Yukiji had wanted to visit the vending machines and asked her to wait out front.

"Hello." said Sora going up to them. "Hello" they chorused nodding simultaneously. Sora was really confused. She realized that she had no means of telling Miyu and Mayu apart. "Umm... May I know who's who?" Miyu and Mayu exchanged glances and simply grinned. So they weren't going to tell her afterall.

"Oh! Look! What is that?" said Sora suddenly. One of them turned sharply while the other looked at her lazily. "Miyu" said Sora pointed to the one who turned.

"Well, yeah." said Miyu. "That wasn't fair!"

"All's fair in love and war." quoted Sora.

"So you're going to quote at us till we fall asleep?" questioned Mayu.

"Not at all. Well, your sister did the recon for us today. I just wanted to thank her." said Sora.

"Oh, it was nothing." said Miyu modestly.

"Hey, you're the one who played today....." said Mayu.

"That's right."

"Nice game."

"Thank you." said Sora with a small smile lighting up her face. From what she had gathered, Mayu was usually a sharp tongued person. But somehow, it was nice to receive praise from her. It was as if she genuinely meant it.

"Well, we've got to get going." said Mayu.

"Umm..." said Sora wanting to continue the conversation. "You're from soccer right? How did it go?"

"Season's over for us. We were third." said Mayu with a shrug.

"I see."

They left and Sora found that she had still been unable to ask them what she really wanted to know. Whether they would someday join the basketball club.