18: Yellow

Chapter 18:

Yellow

"Hello!" said Kise enthusiastically. His had probably been the faster accession to the first string. Other than the gom of course.

His greeting was however, received only cordially.

"Whatever." said Nijimura. "Get used to the first string. If you want to quit, let me know."

"Don't worry, senpai. I won't quit."

"More's the shame."

If the second string training was bad, this was worse. Kise thanked his lucky stars that he'd spent a lot of time doing extra practice. And then they were asked to play.

"Nae, blue-chan, fancy a one on one?"

"It's Aomine! Any you're on. Though I warn you, the only one who can beat me is me."

"Awesome!"

Aomine started with a quick dribble. He performed a fadeaway.

"Wow! That was good. Let me try!" said Kise.

He managed to perform a fadeaway.

"What the........" said Aomine. He tried a harder tactic. He used a drive and performed a formless shot. Kise tried that out too. His shot scratched the hoop slightly. But then again, he'd shot from farther.

"Haizaki-chin, he's just like you." said Murasakibara.

"What? No way I'm like that blonde brat!"

"Brat?" said Kise, slightly hurt.

"Not exactly." said Akashi. "There are some fundamental differences in the way they play. But yes, there's a resemblance."

"Tch." said Haizaki.

"Shall we play a three on three?" suggested Kise. "That way everyone can play."

Though there was a lot of complaining at this, and Haizaki refused bluntly and slipped out of practice, in the end, they teamed up. Aomine, Kuroko and Kise on one side and Akashi, Murasakibara and Midorima on the other.

Kise was amazed. No matter how hard he tried, he just couldn't replicate their moves perfectly. But somehow that didn't put him off. It only made him even more willing to play.

Halfway through the practice, he noticed that the light-blue haired guy was panting a bit.

"You okay?" asked Aomine concerned.

The guy just nodded. Kise was surprised.

"How did you join the first string?" he asked.

"Tetsu's different." said Aomine heatedly.

Kise couldn't believe him. He had no idea how that guy had managed to get into the first string. But still, he let it drop. He didn't want to pick a fight on the first day. Besides, no one else seemed to have a problem.

"Kise-sama!" He turned. Some of his fans were watching from the gallery.

"Great..... This just keeps getting better and better. Oi, clear off if you're going to make noise." shouted an irritated Nijimura. But no one seemed to budge. Kise waved to acknowledge them and immediately received a thwack from Nijimura.

"Ouch!" he pouted.

"Here I am, waiting for them to clear off and you have the guts to wave....." said Nijimura darkly.

"..... Sorry, senpai."

"You'd better be."

****************

Kise was dead tired at the end of practice. He left the court and changed quickly. Somehow, he couldn't wait to get home.

He found Nanase outside again. "Good evening. Want me to accompany you home? I'm leaving early today......" he said.

She raised her eyebrows. She didn't say anything but just nodded.

***********

Kise was thinking about his first day. God, that had been tough. To say the truth, he had been barely able to keep up. Inspite of all his pride, he realized that he could do much more with just a little more practice. In that case......

He would probably have to give basketball his all.

He called up his manager.

"Ayanocchi....."

"Oro? Kise-san? Is anything wrong?"

"Can you cancel my shoot for this weekend?"

"Eh? Why?"

"Something turned up....."

"Oh. But you never cancel!"

"Sorry. Is it a bit too tough?"

"No. It can be postponed. You'll have a tough schedule though."

"I can manage. Thank you so much!"

"It's nothing. Bye."

"Bye bye."

Kise hung up and sighed. He loved modeling. But it was for basketball after all. He would probably have to make even more sacrifices when the time came. If he wanted to reach the top. There wasn't any room there for halfhearted people.

Man, he was getting addicted to this game......