30: Showoff

Chapter 30:

Showoff

"So Aomine did really ask you out....." said Sora curiously. "Wait till I tell Satsuki."

"No way in hell! He just asked me to play basketball with him. Besides, why would I go out with aho?"

"You're spending the evening with him." said Yukiji with a laugh.

"In school. Playing basketball. There's a difference."

"Eh....." chroused Sora and Yukiji. Akira moaned in frustration. It was just a one on one in the court. People never understood. Yukiji and Sora were looking like their birthdays had come earlier. Not to mention how Satsuki would probably react when she found out. All in all, the match seemed like more trouble than it was worth.

Akira lugged her feet towards the court, Sora and Yukiji in tow. They passed Kise on their way. He was just coming out of the court.

"Nae, Kise-san......" began Sora brightly.

"Oh. Soracchi. Can it wait....."

"No. It's something trivial. Later." Sora didn't like the expression on his face. Something had probably happened. She was not the only one who noticed. Akira and Yukiji exchanged glances  with her. Anyways, they would find out sooner or later.

The gom were in the court. Sora could see that there had been a distrubance. In some of their faces, there was a subtle hint. On others, Aomine for instance, it showed only too clearly.

"Do you want to cancel...." said Akira unsure of whether he would be willing to play. In response, Aomine threw the basketball in his hand with full force on her. Akira ducked and blocked it.

"Aho! You bloody well need anger management lessons! Throwing basketballs on girls....."

"Oh. So you're a girl!" he said with a tone of mock surprise. "Sorry. Didn't notice."

"I'll kill you for this!"

"Play half as well as you talk, miss."

Somehow, the fight had lightened the mood of everyone there just a bit. Akira and Aomine began their one on one. The rest began to cheer and comment as need demanded.

"Aho! Virgo is second! You and you alone are responsible for this abominable performance, nanodayo."

"Akira-san! Are you're eyes open or not? Use your brain for God's sake!"

"Nice one, Akira! Shoot! Aomine takes the ball...."

"You can do it, Aomine-kun!"

"Go, Akira!"

Halfway in, Kise quietly slipped in and joined the cheering. He seemed to have gotten over whatever it was. Sora watched his expression. She tapped Akashi's shoulder.

"Nae, is Kise-san okay?"

"There was an.... issue earlier."

"Issue?"

"Yes. Kise doesn't get along well with Haizaki."

"Oh." That conveyed most of the scene to Sora. Haizaki had somehow gotten off on the wrong foot with Kise. Things could turn ugly where he was concerned. Sora herself knew a few incidents.

"Did he.... do anything?"

"He....well, he tried to goad Kise into fighting him. But you know how passive Kise usually is. Finally, Kise snapped and challenged him to a one on one."

"The outcome?"

"Kise lost." Sora could detect just a twinge of disappointment in his voice.

"I see."

"It would have been..... useful if Kise had won though...." he continued. "The whole thing has left a bad taste in my mouth. I can say the same for everyone here. It would be a good solution.... What on earth!"

Sora looked back at the match. Akira had been getting creamed for the past five minutes. Aomine had apparantly gotten bored. He was now balancing the ball on his nose like a seal. Akira was trying and failing to take it back.

"Aho! That's a voilation of the rules!" protested Akira.

"Damn the rules."

"Put that ball down at once!"

"You two are playing basketball! Remember?" said Yukiji who was choking with laughter.

"Aominecchi! I didn't know you were talented in this art!" exclaimed Kise.

"The amazing Aomine!" said Aomine proudly, still holding off Akira.

"Aomine-kun, it isn't right to tease Akira-san." reminded Kuroko. But he himself was smiling.

"You too?" groaned Akira.

"Akicchin, you don't have to try so hard." said Murasakibara.

"My pride's at stake!"

"I told you to bring your lucky item, nanodayo!"

"Shut up! How do I lug a stuffed crocodile around while playing! That aside, where do I even find one, four eyes!"

"But then again, nothing can keep this crowd down." said Sora fondly with a smile.

"That's right." said Akashi.