46: Competition

Chapter 46:

Competition

"Yo, Kise. Up for a one on one?"

"Aominecchi! Of course."

Kise and Aomine got into positions.

"I'm starting!" announced Aomine who was on offense.

"Hold it!" It was Akashi. "Remember what Shirogane sensei said? You too can't play against each other so often."

Aomine and Kise looked at each other.

"Then what am I supposed to do?" questioned Aomine.

Akashi shrugged. "There are other players in the first string other than the five of us you know. Challenge anyone you like."

Aomine considered the idea. "Fine."

Some third years were playing. Aomine went up to them.

"Hey. Looks like a good game. Can I join?"

"Sure thing, kid."

----------------------------

They were getting creamed. There was no other way to put it. The match had started off as a normal two on two. But now they were playing three on one. Any yet Aomine was winning. Aomine was playing like a house on fire oblivious to the reactions of those around him. Then one of the third years called a break and said they needed to rest. Aomine agreed and then went in search of someone else.

Oddly, everyone seemed too engrossed in their own game and said they didn't need any extra players. Aomine was a bit confused. Until he heard someone whispering.

"...... What do mean let him join? Didn't you just see him play? There's no hope. Even if we all play as opponents. He'll just beat us all. There's no way you're calling him over. What's the point of a clearly unwinnable game....."

Aomine froze. He clenched his fist slightly. So nobody wanted to play with him. It wasn't his fault. Being better at basketball. He felt like he desperately needed to clear his head. He went to the door.

"Where are you going?" Akashi called out.

"Nowhere."