78: Nambara: Third quarter

Note:

The scores are of the form; Teiko - Nambara.

————————————-

The second quarter had ended with the score being 44 – 43.

The tip off for the third quarter began.

Number 5(c) got the ball. She passed it to number 7(pf). Akira blocked number 7(pf) and took the ball. Number 8(sf) back-tipped Akira. She passed to number 6(pf). Sora took the ball from number 6(pg) but she was blocked by number 4(sg). She passed to Eru. Number 6(pg) raced to block Eru but sora provided a screen. Eru shot.

47 – 43

"The curse has been lifted!" said Yukiji.

"Oi, now you don't start!" exclaimed Akira.

"Will both of you shut up about the jinx?" demanded Chihaya.

"Kouhais, it's really disheartening you know." said Eru.

"But senpai...." began Akira.

"Ball's coming into play people!" yelled Sora.

"Right!"

Chihaya got the ball. She passed it to Yukiji. Yukiji was blocked by number 8(sf) and she tried to pass the ball to Akira. Number 4(sg) took the ball. Sora blocked her. Number 4(sg) was trying hard to get past Sora. At one point there was a small gap. Number 4(sg) took that opportunity to raise her arm to score. Akira had come up behind her and took the ball exactly at that point. She passed to Eru and Eru scored.

50 – 43.

"Nice one, partner." said Sora giving her a thumbs-up. "Glad you remembered the signal...."

"Nice timing mate." said Akira returning the gesture.

Yukiji got the ball. She tried to pass it to Chihaya but number 7(pf) intercepted the pass. Number 7(pf) passed the ball to number 5(c). Chihaya blocked number 5(c). Number 5(c) did an overhead pass to number 8(sf) who had come up nearby.

50 – 45.

"Damn!" said Chihaya.

Number 7(pf) got the ball. She passed to number 8(sf) because Akira blocked her. Yukiji blocked number 8(sf). Number 8(sf) tried a drive, but Yukiji knocked the ball out of her hands. Number 7(pf) got the ball and passed to number 6(pg).

50 – 48.

"Double damn..." muttered Akira.

Number 6(pg) got the ball. She tried to shoot but Eru blocked her. She passed to number 4(sg). Number 4(sg) jumped. Sora hesitated a bit. Number 4(sg) took a shot. The ball scratched the hoop and went in.

50 – 51.

"You saw it coming. Why didn't you jump?" questioned Akira.

Sora shrugged. "Double threat. She was going to pass to number 8."

"What?"

"Didn't you see? The ball scratched. She changed her mind at the last second."

"This is going to be a pain."

Sora twisted her hair between her fingers in frustration. "We'll see. I'll come up with something. I'm not so sure she'll repeat it though."

Number 8(sf)got the ball. She passed it to number 7(pf). Number 7(pf) tried to get it through to number 6(pg) who was free but she was blocked by Akira. So she passed to number 4(sg) who had come up nearby with Sora in pursuit. Number 4(sg) jumped again. This time, Sora jumped with her and scratched the ball. It rebounded. Chihaya took the ball and passed it to Eru. Eru scored.

53 – 51.

"Why were you so sure this time?" said Akira.

"No one was free." explained Sora.

"I see."

Number 5(c) got the ball. She passed to number 8(sf). Number 8(sf) passed to number 6(pg).

53 – 53.

Chihaya got the ball. She passed it to Akira. Akira passed to Sora who in turn passed to Yukiji. Number 8(sf) stood between Eru and Yukiji. But instead of passing, Yukiji turned towards the hoop and shot.

56 – 53.

Akira got the ball. She tried to pass it to Eru but number 8(sf) caught the pass. She passed to number 5(c). Number 5(c) passed to number 6(pg).

56 – 56.

"Well this is hectic...." said Akira.

Yukiji had the ball. She passed it to Akira. Akira passed the ball to Sora. Sora was blocked by number 4(sg). She faked a drive and stopped at the last moment and passed to Akira instead. Akira passed to Chihaya. Chihaya passed the ball back to Akira. Akira scored.

59 – 56.

Soon, the third quarter came to an end. This time, Teiko had fared slightly better. They had pulled ahead by three points. The referee blew his whistle.

"The third quarter is now over. Teiko is ahead with 64 points. We will commence after a short break."

————————————————————

"We're going to flunk..." began Akira.

"Kouhai, the next person who says that gets to visit the medic." snarled Chihaya. Akira gulped.

"Don't worry, Akira-san." Said Yukiji. "Maybe fate is bored of hearing the same thing over and over and will help us any way."

"You've got to admit, it's boring after some time." confessed Sora.

"You're right." shrugged Akira. "Damn fate."

"Akira!" began Yukiji.

"Kouhai!" snarled Chihaya. Yukiji lapsed into a silent protest.

"I don't know.... Where are we going wrong?" said Sora.

"Thought of something yet?" said Akira.

"I don't know, Akira-san.... I don't know."

"We're changing tactics?" said Yukiji.

Sora shook her head. "We're ahead. At this point, that's the best that can be said. It's pointless to disturb the equilibrium when it's in our favour, if only a little."

"So?" said Akira.

"We wait."