71: Quarter: Koen

Note:

The scores are of the form; Koen - Teiko.

------------------------------

There was a terse atmosphere in the changing room. It had been quite some time before Teiko had faced a really serious opponent. Plus, this was the quarter finals and they couldn't mess up. Meaning they needed to score 'decently' according to coach. The whole game seemed to have an edge to it because Koen was an opponent they had already defeated and both teams couldn't afford to be lax.

Soon, the teams were called. Akira, Sora and Yukiji exchanged nods and headed out.

----------------------

"Nae, they would have come up with something new by now, wouldn't they?What do you think?" whispered Yukiji as they stood in the lineup.

"Don't worry Yuki-san." replied Akira. "They're not the only ones."

The tip off began.

Chihaya took the ball and passed it to Akira. Akira tried to head out but she was blocked by number 4(pf) aided by number 12(sf). Akira had expected something of this sort as it was striking similar to their previous tactics. She tried to pass backwards to Yukiji but number 8(sg) had covered her from behind and intercepted the pass at the right moment. Yukiji blocked number 8(sg) who immediately passed to number 5(pg). Number 5(pg) passed it back to number 8(sg) before Sora could react. Number 8(sg) scored.

3 - 0.

"Well, this isn't exactly an auspicious start." commented Yukiji.

"We'll get our own back." assured Akira.

"Three was supposed to be Aries' lucky number today." said Yukiji.

"Don't connect that with the score!" said Akira.

"What? Oha-asa's giving numbers now?" said Sora who had heard them talking.

"Nope. It's from another horoscope Shintaro found recently. We're sort of testing it's authenticity." said Yukiji.

"And you'd think one was enough...." muttered Sora.

"I think we have bigger problems here than the 'workings of fate'." said Akira sarcastically.

"Sorry, rigtht. Forgot." said Sora. "I just came to inform you two that we're switching to plan B."

"Roger."

Plan B was a tactic similar to the one they had used the previous time a.k.a man to man defense.

Number 5(pg) got the ball. Sora took it from her and passed to Yukiji. Yukiji was double teamed by Number 8(sg) and number 12(sf). Eru came to her aid. Number 8(sg) took the ball. Eru tried to take it from her and failed but number 8(sg) was distracted long enough for Yukiji to backtip her. Number 12(sf) and Yukiji grappled for the ball for a short interval. Yukiji passed to Akira who got passed number 4(pf) and was blocked by number 7(c). Akira passed it to Chihaya but number 12(sf) and number 7(c) blocked her again. Even with Yukiji's help, Chihaya wasn't able to pass so she passed to Akira and held back number 7(c) while Yukiji did the same to number 12(sf). Akira got past number 4(pf) again and scored.

3 - 2.

"Nice going." said Sora.

"No! This is boring. I wanna go back to zone defense." moaned Akira. "I'm getting bored of marking number 4."

"Patience. All in good time."

Chihaya got the ball. She passed it to Eru. Eru tried to shoot but number 8(sg) blocked her. Eru was unable to shoot and got flustered. She lowered her arms quickly because she was stressed and ended up hitting number 8(sg).

"White! Number 6."

"I swear, this was an accident!" exclaimed Eru. Number 8 nodded and mumbled that she understood. Koen got a free throw and they got the ball in.

5 - 2.

"Wow. I would have thought Eru senpai would be the last person to get a foul." said Akira.

"Yeah. I thought you were the one who had the highest probability of fouling an opponent." said Yukiji.

"Shut up!"

Shortly after, the coach called a time-out. The players went back to the bench dreading and knowing what was about to happen. Coach looked at them as if savouring the few choice words she was about to say to them.

"This match is a mess. Get yourselves together." she said and then became silent. Everyone looked at each other. They needed no other explanation. Coach never needed to swear. One sentence could always convey the depth of her feelings to the team. The time-out ended and the match resumed.

Number 8(sg) had the ball. She was blocked by Eru who was somewhat tentative now after her foul. So number 8(sg) got through easily. She tried to take a shot but Yukiji took the ball from her and was now double teamed by both number 12(sf) and number 8(sg). She tried to pass to Eru but number 8(sg) intercepted the pass. Eru however took it by a back tip. Number 8(sg) came to block Eru. She panicked and shot the ball a bit too soon. The ball went in but it scratched the hoop.

5 - 5.

"Senpai... You heard coach. We'd better get it together or we're doomed." said Akira. Eru shook herself. "Right. Sorry."

"Looks like man to man is failing a bit." said Chihaya.

"It's a bit true senpai. But at any rate we can't switch to zone defense. I'm not sure it'll work against their level of coordination." said Sora.

"I know. We'd better come up with something to show."

The game continued in the same pace for a few minutes.

Akira got the ball. She passed it to Eru. Eru was blocked by number 8(sg) and passed to Yukiji. Yukiji passed it to Sora. Sora was blocked by number 5(pg) and number 12(sf). She did an overhead pass to Akira who caught the ball. Akira was blocked by number 7(c) and number 4(pf). She passed it back to Sora. Sora was blocked by number 5(pg) and number 12(sf). They double teamed her and took the ball. But Yukiji back tipped number 12(sf) and Sora took the ball again. She passed it back to Akira who was trying to throw of number 7(c) and number 4(pf). Chihaya was trying to lend her a hand. Akira received the ball again. She was having a hard time getting past the double team. She passed it to Sora again. Sora headed towards the hoop. Number 5(pg) and number 12(sf) tried to block her again but Yukiji helped with a sudden screen. Sora scored.

5 - 7.

"Mou, when did you two start planning things without me?" groaned Akira.

Sora shrugged. "Sorry. We had a break and it was too good to pass."

"Well we could use more of these breaks." said Chihaya.

"Senpai, let's continue with man to man but I think we're making some sort of mistake. I just can't put my finger on it...." said Sora.

"Do we have any other better options as of now kouhai?"

"I don't think so."

"Then there's no other go."

The match continued in a similar pace. Teiko was able to break Koen's streak to some extent. So by the time the first quarter ended, the score was 18 - 22.