35: Zone

Chapter 35:

Zone.

"Oi, Atsushi. Feeling up to it?"

"Mine-chin, it's not like I have your energy."

"..... I'll treat you in the off-chance that you win."

"I don't wanna play."

"..... Fraidy cat."

"Mine-chin..... Whatever. But if I win, I get three sandwiches. Promise?"

"Hell, whatever."

Aomine looked like he was in an unusually good mood. With good reason too. He had been trying to use that weird technique with no concrete results. He could now almost summon it if he was really desperate. But he still wasn't much in control after that. Besides, he needed some sort of trigger. He could only initiate it to some extent. But it was really uncertain at the best of times. This would be a good opportunity for a test run.

The match began. Murasakibara was heading it as usual.

Aomine took a deep breath. And slipped into the zone. He began with offense. Everyone watched in amazement as Murasakibara had trouble with defense. Aomine seemed to manage to find atleast one loophole in all of Murasakibara's plays. They were playing for five baskets. In a couple of minutes, Aomine had managed to get four of them in.

This was one of the few times that a one on one with Murasakibara went perfectly fine for Aomine. Murasakibara was staring at Aomine.

"Muracchi, are you okay?" said Kise, unaware that he was actually goading Murasakibara.

Murasakibara was still looking fixedly at Aomine. "Mine-chin..... You still have to get one basket in."

Then something slightly peculiar happened. Murasakibara too attained the same deathly calmness of Aomine. His play began to pick up at an alarming rate too. Aomine and Murasakibara were going for it with all they had. But after about a minute, Aomine's play began to steeply worsen. He slumped, dead tired. Murasakibara won that round. He too, found that he just couldn't stand. Both of them were made to sit on the bench.

"How.... did.... you.... pull..... that.... off, Atsushi." said Aomine.

"Dunno..... Mine-chin. I ..... guess.... I.... just.... hate.... losing."

"What on earth was that, nanodayo?" questioned Midorima.

Akashi was looking at them thoughtfully. "I'm not sure as of yet, but I think it's something called the 'zone'."

"Zone, nanodayo?"

"Yes. It's a sort of state in which a player can utilize about seventy... no, eighty percent of his abilities, I think."

"So that is what both of them are capable of...... Awesome!" exclaimed Kise.

"Yes. But I don't think it can be used for a long period. It wearies them out."

"Aomine-kun and Murasakibara-kun do look very tired. Will they be alright?" said Kuroko.

"They'll be fine." assured Akashi. "Look. Aomine is recovering very slightly already. I should say that this isn't his first time. As for Murasakibara, it'll take longer. But he'll be just fine."

*****************

"Eh? The zone?" exclaimed Akira.

Satsuki nodded vigorously. "You should have seen it! It wasn't anything like their usual play! At all!"

"One can only imagine....." said Sora with a smile.

"How does this happen? This whole zone thing....." inquired Yukiji.

"I'm not sure myself. But I think the player has to love the game to a great extent. Otherwise, I guess the triggers depend on the person in question."

"The first part sounds right up your street, Akira, Yukiji." said Sora.

"I dunno." said Akira. "But there's probably some other catch as well."

"Oi, why are you leaving yourself out?" said Yukiji suspiciously.

Sora shrugged. "Oh, I don't know. I simply love basketball. But, I think there's a bit more to life than basketball."

Akira stared at her like she had just said something scandalous. Yukiji choked a bit on her soda. Satsuki laughed, looking at their expressions.

"Basketball.... Did you say basketball isn't...." began Akira.

"Oh, well." said Yukiji. "To each, his own. Whatever....."

"Hey, go easy on her." said Satsuki laughing again. "At least she gave an honest answer."

"Sora-chan.... How could you..." said Akira.

Sora sighed and patted her on the head. "Okay, okay. Basketball rules life. Don't die...."

"I knew it!"

"Calm down, Akira-san. I love basketball. Okay?"

"Sora-chan..... Are you feeling sick?"

"No!"