73: Koen: Equilibrium

Note:

The scores are of the form; Koen - Teiko.

————————————————-

The tip off began with the score at 36 — 40.

Akira caught the ball and passed it to Sora. Sora passed it to Yukiji who was blocked by number 12(sf), so Yukiji did an overhead pass. Sora caught the ball and passed it to Chihaya. Chihaya was in turn blocked by number 7(c) and passed the ball back to Sora. Sora dribbled the ball, frantically looking for someone to pass it to. Number 8(sg) was doing a good job covering Eru. Akira was being double-teamed by number 4(pf) and number 12(sf) and Yukiji was trying to create an opening for Akira to get through. So pretty much everyone was covered. Sora was trying to hold off number 5(pg) while trying to look for a gap. She dribbled back and forth on the court waiting for a chance but none seemed to show itself. She ran towards the hoop herself and tried to shoot. Number 5(pg), being taller, could reach the ball when Sora got into the shooting position. She knocked the ball and took it for herself. But Sora had expected this and ducked behind number 5(pg) and took the ball. She shot.

36 — 42.

Sora was somewhat relieved that the first ball that went in during that quarter was theirs. Hopefully this could shift the equation in their favour. Number 12(sf) got the ball. She passed it to number 8(sg) but Yukiji knocked the ball out of her hands. She passed it to Sora. Sora caught the ball again but she found that pretty much everyone was covered again. She saw Chihaya step slightly out of number 7's(c) mark and passed to her immediately. Chihaya got the ball but number 7(c) and number 8(sg) were quick to converge on her. She tried to force the ball into the hoop by a layup but number 7(c) scratched it and it rebounded. Number 8(sg) took it before either of them could land and shot quickly.

38 — 42.

"This is mildly annoying." said Akira.

"Mildly?" said Yukiji. "Coach is probably wishing she trained a bunch of tortoises instead."

"She would probably teach them to defend and block with their shells." commented Sora who had come up. "Tortoise wall block.... How does it sound?"

"Cool!" grinned Yukiji.

"Shouldn't we be thinking about how not to be tortoises instead of actually developing the tortoise angle?" said Akira.

"To be or not to be...." mused Sora.

"Sora-chan! No one gives a damn about Macbeth right now!" groaned Akira.

"Trust me. This has given me an awesome idea." said Sora with a grin.

Yukiji got the ball. She passed it to Sora. Sora  started to move forward. Number 5(pg) and number 8(sg) tried to double team her but Sora kept moving a bit ahead but she didn't have a large enough gap to shoot. She nodded. Yukiji and Akira converged from either side providing a sort of double screen. This momentarily stopped number 5(pg) and number 8(sg) and number 12(sf) and number 4(pf) were behind Yukiji and Akira so they didn't pose a threat. Sora managed to score.

38 — 45.

"Tortoises rule!" said Sora and Yukiji exchanging a high-five.

"Are you two alright?" said Chihaya.

"You know if the pressure's getting to you perhaps we can call a time out." suggested Eru.

"Senpais, ignore this. Trust me." said Akira.

Number 12(sf) got the ball. She passed it to number 4(pf) who dribbled towards number 8(sg). She did a short range pass and held off Eru while number 8(sg) scored.

41 — 45.

"Annoying..." said Akira.

Number 12(sf) got the ball. She passed it to number 7(c). Number 7(c) tried to do a layup. But Chihaya didn't give her a clear shot so the ball rebounded. Chihaya took the ball and tried to pass it to Eru. But number 12(sf) intercepted the pass. She dribbled a short distance away and ducked around Yukiji and shot.

44 — 45.

"Drat!" said Sora.

Yukiji got the ball. She passed it to Chihaya. Chihaya was blocked by number 7(c). So she took a few steps back and did a sort of scoop shot.

44 — 47.

Number 4(pf) got the ball. She passed to number 12(sf). Number 4(pf) and number 12(sf) quickly switched marks. Number 12(sf) was slightly more nimble than Akira. She stepped around her and then quickly passed to number 8(sg).

47 — 47.

Akira cursed. "Have you got some idea about her rhythm?" said Sora. Akira nodded. "Can you hold her off next time?" questioned Sora. Akira nodded again.

"Positively. Do you want me to switch marks?"

"Not now, no. But let's see what happens."

Sora got the ball. She passed to Yukiji. Yukiji dribbled for a bit with number 12(sf) hot in her pursuit. She passed to Eru when she had an opening. Eru scored.

47 — 50.

"Finally!" said Eru with a smile.

"Keep going." said Chihaya.

"You're not that bad you know." Said number 8(sg) with a shrug.

"Thank you." Said Eru, unsure of what else to say.

Sora got the ball. She started to run. She spotted Yukiji running parallel to her and did a bounce pass. Yukiji received it. She passed to Chihaya. Chihaya went a bit farther from the hoop. Number 7(c) was in pursuit. Chihaya passed sideways to Akira. Akira did a drive around number 7(c) while Chihaya held back number 4(pf). Akira scored.

47 — 52.

Number 5(pg) got the ball. She tried to pass Sora. Sora took the ball from her but she found herself double teamed by number 5(pg) and number 12(sf). Number 5(pg) took the ball from her and got it through to number 8(sg). Number 8(sg) scored.

50 — 52.

Yukiji got the ball. She passed it to Eru. Number 8(sg) took it from her. She tried to shoot but Eru knocked the ball out of her hand and the ball bounced in the open. Akira took it and bypassed number 4(pf) again. She ducked around number 7(c) while Chihaya held off number 4(pf) again.

50 — 54.

The whistle blew. "The third quarter is now over!"

".....and we're no better off." said Chihaya.