69: Rivals

Chapter 69:

Rivals

"What the heck? Koen high? Isn't that impossible?" said Sora.

"Didn't we knock them out in the prelims?" demanded Akira. Satsuki shook her head. "Apparently they lost only to us. You'll be playing the quarter against them."

The second term had ended and the quarter was imminent.

"This is just down right weird." said Akira.

"Awkward, I know." said Satsuki. "But there were a lot of new schools this year. Some really good, some not so. Whether luck or skill, they got through. I'll calculate their growth rate if you want...."

"Either way, we can't afford to underestimate them." said Yukiji. Sora nodded.

Satsuki made her way to the door and then stopped. "Nae, have you heard? Kise-kun's been training someone."

"Who?" inquired Akira.

"I wanted you to meet her. Oh, I think there are two to be specific."

"Two?" said Akira weakly. "Good God."

"I don't think it's that Akira-san...." said Sora scrutinizing Satsuki. "I want to meet them...."

"Shouldn't you mind your business?" said Akira.

"Meet them as in what?" said Yukiji.

"I dunno..... I've got this gut feeling...."

"Suit yourself." said Akira. "But really, should you meddle?"

"I don't know...." said Sora.

"Just don't be late for the strategy meeting." said Yukiji. Sora nodded.

"I'll point them out to you later. I even know where they practice....." said Satsuki.

"What are you? An intelligence agent...." said Akira.

--------------------------------

Mayu was practicing a lay-up. She had gotten past the basic shots. As much as she hated to admit it, she acknowledged Kise's skill. The shot looked so easy when he preformed it. But replicating it was really hard. Mayu was doing well now but she had to admit that she could probably never touch his skill level.

Miyu was watching her practice and sitting with a pile of notes. Mayu had to appreciate her too. She had just gone through tonnes of footage and had taken notes on top of that. She was probably serious about becoming a manager for the basketball club. Mayu wished she shared her fire. She was still unsure whether she like basketball. Just like what she felt about soccer. Mayu wished that life had easier and more clearer options more often.

A girl entered the court with a basketball. She glanced at them both for a second and then went to the other side of the court. She began to practice three pointers. Miyu had turned to watch her play. Mayu huffed and got on with her practice. She couldn't help but observe that the other girl's three pointers went in quite a lot. Maybe she was a regular.

Mayu felt that she had seen her somewhere and then it hit her. This was the girl who had fainted when they had pulled that prank on her. This was certainly awkward. Mayu's concentration wavered a bit. The ball went far from the hoop.

"Drat!" cursed Mayu. Miyu turned to look at her. "You okay?"

"Basketball is boring!"

"What...."

"It isn't basketball..... It's sort of your approach to the problem at hand." said the girl suddenly. Mayu stuck her tongue out and the girl laughed. "Relax! No offense meant. It's just that, when you begin you have to give your all."

"Says who?"

"Says a regular." said the girl with a shrug. "You've got to actually want to perfect the shot."

"And I've spent the last hour on what then?" said Mayu sarcastically.

"You've got to want to put it in the hoop more than anything else. All your thought must be on that, at least in the beginning. Was that your approach?"

Mayu shrugged. "I don't particularly care anyway." The girl shook her head. "Don't give up. That's all I have to say." She began to leave.

"Oi, what's your name?" said Mayu.

"Himeji Sora."

----------------------------

"What do you think?" demanded Satsuki.

"I don't know Satsuki-san.... They're just starting. We can't say anything for sure yet." said Sora.