57: Side-effects

Chapter 57:

Side-effects

The rest of the qualifiers were finally over too. Now, the team had a brief period of rest. After which the excitement of the term-tests would begin. Everyone was allowed to slack a bit at practice. It would be just for a week though. After that, preparations for the quarter, semi and finals would begin. Nonetheless, training had become a bit lack-lustre.

Aomine was on the roof dozing off. He didn't see the necessity to attend practice anymore. The performance of the teams at the qualifiers had really been pathetic. If the rest of the matches would be anything like this, then Teiko could probably doze their way to the finals and win. At least that was his philosophy. Some people like Akashi still insisted on practice. Aomine felt sorry for the guy. He was the captain and had no other go than to attend everyday. Tetsu and Midorima did too.

The rest simply lost the drive to do so. Kise had begun to go on his modelling shifts regularly again instead of skipping out on them because of practice. Aomine missed the guy. He was the only one who still challenged him. Murasakibara had also put up a protest in his own lethargic way. He skipped out on the drills silently and didn't defend with his former enthusiasm. But then again, he had never been that enthusiastic.

Aomine was reasoning for his own absence. Anyway, even if he went back, it wasn't as if people were falling over themselves to play with him. Aomine made a fist at the recollection. On some days, Akashi would catch him and force him to attend practice. Every time that happened, suddenly everyone who were playing matches were either too tired or alrady had too many people on their teams. To make matters worse, even if someone did play with him, it was probably because Akashi forced them too. And then again, they didn't have any fight left in them. Their skill levels were just too low.

He felt isolated. It wasn't his fault that he was better than them. Consequently, he had vowed to bunk practice as much as he could. This was the most effective way to give back for what he was feeling. If they didn't want him, he wouldn't go. The noise level coming from the ground floor increased. Aomine looked at his watch. Good. Practice must be over.

-----------------------------------------------------------

"You're skipping again, Aomine." Damn that red-head. Akashi had hunted him down again.

"So what?"

"You're attendence is now below twenty percent fo this term."

"I don't care."

"This means that according to the rules, I should report you. If you come back sincerely from tomorrow however, I'm willing to overlook it." Akashi was looking at him with a dead-determined expression.

"Do your worst." snarled Aomine. He banged his locker shut and left.

------------------------------------------------------------------

"Aomine-kun." Aomine jumped. It was Kuroko. He hadn't seen him coming.

"Jeez, Tetsu. Don't speak out of the blue."

"Sorry."

"Leave it. I'm just in a bad mood."

They walked back home together. They passed the ice-cream shop which they often frequented. "Want ice?" said Aomine.

"I would like that."

They brought their ice-creams and continued to eat them while walking.

"Aomine-kun...." said Kuroko suddenly.

"Eh?"

"Are you feeling alright?"

"Yeah! Really, do I look sick to you?"

"It's not that...." said Kuroko. "Aomine-kun, I know you love basketball. Yet it has been almost a week since you touched the ball. The last time you did that was during the qualifiers. After that you haven't played at all."

"So you decide that I must be sick?"

Kuroko stopped walking. "You are the one who loves basketball more than any of us. And yet, why haven't you played. Are you okay? If any of us did something....."

"Shut up, Tetsu. Don't get confused. It's just that no one's good enough to play against me."

"That's coinceited"

"You think so? Then find one bloke who has the guts to play against me." Aomine continued to walk. Kuroko watched him and then suddenly hit him with the ice-cream.

"Damn you! That's bloody cold! You mad? Wasn't that one of your passes....."

"Aomine-kun was acting too proud." said Kuroko who was smiling a bit.

"God, Tetsu. This is the second time. If you keep acting like this...."

"I was trying to cool down your temper." said Kuroko who was really smiling now.

"You know, I can hit you back......"

"I aware."

"Then why would you...... You're nuts."

"Aomine-kun, please don't give up on us all." said Kuroko.

Aomine looked at him. He knew that Kuroko was asking for the impossible. He'd been hurt too many times already. "I'm sorry, Tetsu. This time I'm going to disappoint you."