25: Miyu and Mayu

Chapter 25:

Miyu and Mayu

"Himeji? Himeji? Get up....."

Sora slowly opened her eyes and found herself in the nurse's office.

"What..... What happened?"

"You were unconscious. I brought you here." It was Akashi.

"How did you know....."

"You called me.... Don't you remember?"

"I did?"

"You did."

Sora rubbed her forehead. Then that scream should have been hers.

"You okay now?"

"No...."

He chuckled. "Let me rephrase. Are you relatively okay now?"

"I think so."

"Himeji." he said becoming serious again. "I want to know. What's going on?"

Sora hesitated. Akashi turned her so that she faced him.

"I found you unconscious. In the middle of the corridor. Tell me, if I wasn't within earshot, what would you have done?"

"Someone else might have helped."

"Well, that someone else didn't arrive before I did. I will get it out of you. Don't make this difficult on both sides."

Sora rubbed her eyes. "I'm going mad."

"You don't look mad to me."

"See! I told you you wouldn't...."

"Hush. Start slow. From the beginning."

Sora recounted all that had happened. Akashi didn't interrupt her till she finished. Then he said,

"Describe her."

"What?"

"Describe the girl you saw."

"If you are kidding around...."

"Himeji, I genuinely believe that I have a chance to help you out."

Sora sighed and gave him a brief description.

"I see." he said. "I'll be back in a minute."

"I rather you not leave."

Akashi could see that she'd had quite a scare.

"Fine. I'm going to get up. I'll just go to the door though. I promise."

Akashi checked if someone was in the corridor. Luckily, he found his classmate there. Sora could see him saying something, but she couldn't make out what it was." And then he came and took his place again. Both were silent for a moment.

"Tell me." said Akashi. "Why do I always need to bring you here."

"I don't know.... Maybe it's because I don't have a normal life...."

"Good point. You're a bit strange."

"That's rich coming from you!"

Then their classmate returned. He nodded to Akashi and left. And then the girl entered. Sora jerked a tried to get up.

"It's her.... It's her...."

"Calm down." said Akashi holding her down. "You're not supposed to get up."

"Tell me you can see her too....."

"I can. Of course I can...."

And then the girl was followed by another girl who looked exactly like her. Sora choked and leant back.

"Twins.... Twins...."

"Yes."

"God, I feel like such a fool."

"You were in shock, that's all." and to the twins he said "I think both of you have something to say."

Both of them look at each other.

"I'm Miyu." said one.

"I'm Mayu." said the other.

"We're the Kouchizukis." they both said together.

"You ran into me the other day. And when you came up, Mayu said that you thought we were a ghost. So we wanted to mess with you." said Miyu.

"When you really did faint, we sort of chickened out. Sorry. We shouldn't have left you there. But we never push it that far, I swear...." said Mayu.

"Sorry!" they both chorused.

"Right. Now both of you, out." said Akashi.

"Who are they?" said Sora as the went out.

"The kouchizuki twins. Honestly, they're the most notorious practical jokers in our year. I'm surprised you don't know them."

"Well, you're in the disciplinary committee. You would probably know better. Besides, the things I don't know would surprise you."

"There isn't much that would surprise me at this point."

"Oh yeah? Anyway, I'm glad this is over."

Sora was visited by the entire basketball club five minutes later. Everyone was in varying degrees of consternation.

"What the heck were you trying to prove by not going home?" demanded Akira.

"You idiot!" exclaimed Yukiji.

"Kouhai, do I need to even tell you what happens if we lose one of our starters before an unpredictable match? You mad?" said Chihaya.

"I almost thought I was...." muttered Sora turning to look at Akashi, but he had slipped away in the chaos.

"Are you better now, kouhai?" inquired Eru.

"Yes, senpai. It's been sorted out."

"My foot it has...." swore Akira.