9: Fresh start

Chapter 9:

Fresh start

"You qutting?" said sensei. Kise couldn't determine whether he was mad at him or not. Sensei's face was simply expressionless.

"Yes...."

"I see." he said, folding up the letter. "You'll be reporting to Shirogane from now on. You can go."

Kise gulped. Shirogane sensei was really scary! It looked like he would be his coach from now on...... He waited. Sensei looked up again.

"Is anything wrong?"

"No.... Umm.... sensei, I'm really sorry. Quitting and all."

"It's not my life kid. Just be sure after you decide on something hereon."

"Umm, right. Thank you!"

Kise ducked out of the office and breathed a sigh of relief. That had gone much better than he had expected. Sensei was such a sport! Looked like he was now part of the basketball club!

Ouch. He had bumped into someone.

"I'm really sorry...." he said with a smile, helping her up. Nothing could probably dampen his day now! Practice would start today evening. Man, these basketball guys were so strict.

*****************

There were more people in the third string than the entire population of the soccer club. This was so cool.

First, he was put through a really hard training exercise. Kise had some experience with drills since he had been part of the soccer club. But that was probably nothing compared to this. For one thing, the sheer variety of the exercises he'd be made to do had shocked him. And then, there was a short practice time for basic shots and dribbling. Kise panted. Maybe the club wasn't all glamour afterall. But within a short time, he'd picked up a lot of techniques.

Luckily for him, the third string would be playing the second string the next day. Despite it being his first day, Kise was chosen to play. This was partly because of the fact that he didn't look as beaten up as the others after the training. The coach had noticed that he'd been doing well considering that it was his first day. And, he'd probably got his records from the soccer club...... But maybe the fact that he'd been one of the few who had actually volunteered could be it......

Eitherway, tomorrow would be a big day for Kise.