82: Komagi: Second quarter

16 – 17.

The second quarter began.

Akira got the ball. She passed it to Sora. Sora gave the ball to Yukiji. Yukiji dribbled forward and number 8(sf) tried to block her. Yukiji got into a shooting position. Number 8(sf) was quite close and she jumped to block her. But Yukiji passed to Eru. She had been feinting.

16 – 20.

Number 7(c) got the ball. She passed it to number 8(sf). Number 8(sf) was blocked by Yukiji. She threw the ball over Yukiji's head and tried to get past. Yukiji turned but she accidentally hit number 8(sf) while turning because number 8(sf) had passed quite close to her.

"White! Number 12. Pushing."

Komagi received a freethrow.

19 – 20.

Yukiji was stunned. She didn't usually receive fouls, but she had received two this time within the first two quarters itself.

"But... but...." began Yukiji.

The referee blew the whistle. Apparently coach wanted to sub Yukiji out for the time being. Yukiji stared at the ground with tears of frustration welling up. Sora gave her a pat on the head.

"You'll be back in no time."

"Don't worry. I've seen worse." said Akira grimly.

Yukiji simply nodded and left. Sakura joined the team. Sora felt uneasy. Yukiji was a strong player and even with her strength, Teiko was having a hard time keeping out. Subbing her out would surely reflect on their scores

Number 7(c) got the ball. This time, instead of passing, she headed towards the hoop. Chihaya followed her closely. Number 7(c) tried to do a layup. Chihaya blocked her and touched the ball to no avail. Number 7's(c) grip was just too strong.

21 – 20.

"This is going to be a pain." said Chihaya.

Akira got the ball. She tried to get past number 6(pf). Akira managed to pass her with a drive but number 6(pf) was quite close. Akira veered to avoid her and slipped. She corrected her balance at the last minute, so she didn't fall but she lost the ball to number 6(pf). Number 6(pf) went towards the hoop. Akira blocked her and took the ball. She passed to Sora who had caught up. Sora shot.

21 – 23.

Number 6(pf) got the ball. She passed it to number 4(pg). Sora stood in her way and waited for her to try to pass. Number 4(pg) faked a drive and passed to number 6(pf). But Akira caught the pass and gave the ball to Chihaya. Chihaya scored.

21 – 25.

Sora got the ball. She passed it to Akira. Akira was double teamed by number 6(pf) and number 8(sf). Akira didn't try any aggressive moves because she knew that she would end up fouling at least one of them. Akira lost the ball. Number 6(pf) passed the ball to number 13(sg).

24 – 25.

"I miss Yukiji...." said Akira.

Without Yukiji, number 8(sf) had a lot more opportunities. The outside was having a bit of trouble and Chihaya was also hindered by number 7(c). So both teams had to fight tooth and nail in the second quarter. Komagi managed to level the field. The score was now tied at 44 – 44.

—————————————————————

"Why am I an Aries?" demanded Yukiji. The team was in the locker room for their break.

"Because you were born in March?" suggested Akira.

Yukiji made an irritated sound. "Of all games, Aries had to place last during the finals. Now I can't even play."

"Yukiji-san, coach just said you could play." pointed out Sora.

"Don't you understand? Even if I'm in, I'm not going to be of any use."

"You know kouhai, all this fortune stuff is getting to your head." said Chihaya.

"You'll do fine. No matter what zodiac you are...." said Eru.

"I'm just not lucky today!"

"Oi, seriously.... What is the problem here? You have your lucky item and all." said Akira.

"It doesn't work that way." said Yukiji. "I have my lucky item. I am wearing a rubber bracelet with my lucky colour. What more does fate expect of me?"

"I don't know." shrugged Akira. "Ask someone who does."

Yukiji's eyes widened. "Shintaro!" Akira threw her her phone and Yukiji made the call.

Yukiji: Hello?

Midorima: What is it, nanodayo?

Yukiji: You know what's happening! You're watching the God-damned match!

Midorima: Ahem... What can I do?

Yukiji: I'm last today. How can I improve my luck?

Midorima: The point is.... *cough*

Yukiji: Shintaro?

Midorima: *cough*

Yukiji: What the hell....

Midorima: It was nothing, nanodayo. How can I help?

Yukiji: Why do you sound funny?

Midorima: I thought you were in crisis?

Yukiji: Yeah! Answer my question.

Midorima: What I was going to say was luck doesn't matter.

Yukiji: What? What are you saying?

Midorima: If you have the skill, nothing is going to prevent you from winning. Go win. Aries or any other thing, you're you. If you are better than them, you can beat them.

Yukiji: Oh shut up! Just tell me what to do to remove this bad luck.

Midorima: ..... Turn three times anticlockwise.

Yukiji: What?

Midorima: Just do it. If you do that, your victory is sure. *hangs up*

Yukiji looked at the phone, puzzled. She did as she was told anyway.

"What did he say?" said Akira.

"Just to turn three times anticlockwise. Nothing else."

"Well, if the fortune freak says it, I guess it's going to be enough." said Akira.

"You should have heard his pep talk." said Yukiji shaking her head. "I couldn't tell if he was threatening me or encouraging me."

"Eh? Four eyes?" said Akira.

"Yeah. He said some absolutely random stuff about winning and beating them and getting to the top."

"Hmm..." said Sora.

"What's wrong, Sora-chan?" said Akira.

"Nothing. It's just that, this sounds unusually like someone else...."

——————-

Akashi shut his notepad with a satisfied tap. "Daiki, you can return Shintaro's gummy bears."

"I've done everything you guys asked. Return my lucky item, nanodayo."

"Sorry mate." said Aomine handing over the packet. "It's just that you could have said something disastrous and discouraged the whole lot."

"Sorry, Midorima-kun. But this was necessary." said Kuroko.

"Midorimacchi is too hung up on fortunes-su! That's why we had to threaten you with your lucky item and do the answering on your behalf." said Kise.

"I am not, nanodayo!"

"Sorry we had to do this, Shintaro." said Akashi. "But sometimes, our beliefs may lead us away from victory."

"No matter what you all say, I would have done the same thing even without your influence, nanodayo." said Midorima adjusting his glasses.