81: Komagi: First quarter

Note:

The scores are of the form; Komagi - Teiko.

————————————-

"Will you be fine, Sora?"

Sora shrugged. "Depends really. But still nothing can be done, so yes, I will get through."

"So you've decided to be pessimistic about this?" said Akashi.

"What can I say? Do you want me to go in there thinking about rainbows and unicorns?" said Sora sarcastically.

"I want to go in there thinking about something that will help you win." said Akashi.

"Don't worry Seijuro, it's under control."

Akashi nodded. "I know you'll get through. But still, I just want to wish you luck."

"Thank you." said Sora with a smile.

"Oh, and one more thing."

"Hmm?"

"Don't let someone other than me embarrass you in front of the whole country."

Sora groaned. "You had to remind me of that, didn't you? And seriously, what's with that conditional clause?"

"Well, if you were to face me, the result would inevitably be defeat. But when it's someone other than me, you might have a really good chance."

Sora was about to retort when she was called. "This isn't over, Seijuro." she reminded.

"No, I expect not."

————————

"So what are our plans?" said Chihaya.

"Hmm... I'm not sure as of now, senpai. I don't think we can decide anything from last year's match or the tape. We'd be jumping the gun if we went inside with a plan." said Sora.

"So we're just going to give it our all?" said Akira.

"Well, as of now, yes."

"Great! That's my type of game."

———-

Sora saw that Komagi had acquired a couple of new players. The number 4(pg) and number 6(pf) duo were still on the starting line-up and so was number 13(sg). This year's center was a stocky girl, number 7, who seemed to be eternally bored of life and the small forward, number 8, was a wiry girl who was a bit restless. She almost seemed to communicate her restlessness to everyone there. Sora could see Akira shifting on her feet and smiled. Akira was probably already hyped up even without the help of any external agencies.

"So we're back again?" said number 4(pg) addressing Sora. Sora nodded carefully. She had no intention of getting drawn into a quarrel like last time. "Good luck." said number 4(pg). "You're going to need it." Sora simply rolled her eyes. Number 4(pg) could develop an acid tongue on court. Sora kept reminding herself that it was 'nothing personal' as number 4(pg) had put it last time and that she was on the receiving end of all such taunts simply because she was their opponent.

Sora glanced at Akira to find that she looked like she was trying to rub the paint lines of the floor of the court with her foot. Number 6(pf) seemed to have said something. Somehow, this left a sense of foreboding. The match finally began.

Tip off!

Number 7(c) got the ball. She passed to number 8(sf). Yukiji tried to block her. Number 8(sf) tried a drive. Yukiji reacted and tried to turn. But number 8(sf) had passed too close to her and Yukiji ended up hitting her.

"White! Number 12, pushing."

Number 8(sf) got a free throw.

3 – 0.

"Umm.... Yukiji-san, remember what I told you?" said Sora.

Yukiji looked at Sora with wide eyes. "These guys are pros!"

Sora smiled weakly. "That's one way of putting it."

Chihaya got the ball. She passed to Sora. Sora ran in Eru's direction and pulled number 4(pg) and number 13(sg) toward's her. She did a high pass to Eru, who caught the ball and shot.

3 – 3.

"Now the field's level..." muttered Akira.

Yukiji cleared her throat. "Akira, curse...."

"Kouhais you are not doing this." cut in Chihaya.

"Sorry, senpai. It's just that Aries is last today." explained Yukiji.

Number 8(sf) heard her speaking. "Aries is last today? Oh, so you are an Oha-asa freak." Yukiji hesitated and then nodded. "Too bad." said number 8(sf). "I've got an elder cousin who follows Oha-asa. The day his zodiac was last, he got kicked out of his job. Maybe that works, but the point is that thing's for losers."

Yukiji narrowed her eyes. This was war.

Akira got the ball. She passed it to Sora. Sora was blocked and so she passed the ball to Yukiji. To everyone's surprise, Yukiji went forward and shot without passing.

3 – 5.

"What the.... Well, never mind. As long as this doesn't backfire." said Akira shaking her head.

"I've got my lucky item and my shots still go in. That's all that matters." said Yukiji addressing number 8(sf). Number 8(sf) shrugged. "Whatever. I told you the stuff's stupid."

"Oha-asa is accurate!" protested Yukiji.

"Then you're going to scr*w up." said number 8(sf). "You can't have it both ways you know."

She left a dumbfounded Yukiji to ponder over her statement.

Chihaya got the ball. She passed it to Akira. Akira tried to move forward, but she was blocked by number 6(pf). She began a drive but number 6(pf) stepped into her way. Akira stopped moving at the last moment and tried to pass sideways to Sora. But unfortunately, she didn't get a clear shot. Number 8(sf) intercepted her pass and gave the ball to number 13(sg). Number 13(sg) scored.

6 – 5.

"Good thinking." said Sora to Akira.

"What? What are you talking about? I just lost the ball." said Akira.

"This is much better than a foul."

"No amount of encouragement from your team-mate can cover the fact that you just lost the ball to the opponent in the finals, of all games." said number 4(pg).

"Oh, shut up...." muttered Akira.

Number 6(pf) got the ball. She was blocked by Akira. Number 6(pf) tried to rush pass her. Akira let her and took the ball using a back-tip. She passed to Sora. Sora passed to Eru who scored.

6 – 8.

Number 8(sf) got the ball. She passed it to number 7(c) who was free. Number 7(c) tried the more direct approach and tried to ram it into the hoop. Chihaya back-tipped her and passed it Yukiji. Yukiji was quite close to the hoop but she was blocked. So she tried shooting again. But the ball rebounded. Chihaya jumped and caught the ball. But number 7(c) knocked the ball out of her hands. She took it and put it in.

8 – 8.

"What force..." shuddered Chihaya.

"See, my dear. Aries is going down." said number 8(sf). Yukiji quivered.

The match continued in the same pace. Teiko tried to valiantly fight while controlling their temper at the same time. They managed to pull one point ahead but not more. By the end of the first quarter, the score was 16 – 17.