80: Pre-finals

It took a minute for the news to sink in. The entire team breathed a sigh of relief. Despite coach's dark premonitions, they would be making it to the finals afterall.

"The curse...." began Yukiji.

"Is broken." finished Akira.

"Eh? Curse?" said number 4(sg) who had heard them. Sora grinned. "Do you really want to know?"

"Judging by your expression, I don't think I want to know." said number 4.

"Wise decision." said Sora.

"Anyway, curse or no curse, you beat us to the finals." said number 4 extending her hand. "Do well."

"Thank you." said Sora, taking it.

"Oh, they've gone ahead and started the line-up without us." said number 4.

"Yeah. We'd better hurry."

Sora and number 4 jogged to the line-up and took their positions.

"Thank you for the game!"

——————————————————————————————————-

"We didn't flunk it!" said Akira happily.

"Ah. Finally, we can forget about this idiotic chant." muttered Chihaya.

"If only the same luck continued till the finals..." said Yukiji wistfully. "Akira-san, do you think you can....."

"Don't.... even... think... about...it." said Chihaya, carefully stressing on each syllable.

"Umm, senpai? It looks like Chihaya senpai might blow it anytime." said Sora.

"Of course, kouhai. My advice? Tell Akira and Yukiji to quit using that sentence. At least for the time being." said Eru.

"Roger."

Satsuki and Miyu entered the locker room. "Congratulations! Look who's going to play in the finals!" said Satsuki enthusiastically. "Thank you, Satsuki-san." said Sora.

"It was a great game." said Miyu.

"Eh? Really? I thought we were messing up for the most part of it." said Akira.

"Now, now, Miyu. These guys were sure candidates for the finals. What did you expect?" said Satsuki teasingly.

"Satsuki-san.... Why?" muttered Akira.

"Well, anyway, aren't you curious about your next opponents?" said Satsuki.

"Kouhai, don't tell me you already have all the data." said Chihaya in awe.

"I believe in pro-activeness." said Satsuki with a bow. "Oh, and bad news guys. Coach insisted that I attended the strategy meeting today. Sorry. Miyu knows what has to be done though."

"Satsuki-san, it's only right that you attend. Thank you for your help." said Sora.

"Thank you, kouhai. And wish the guys luck on our behalf." said Chihaya.

"I will, senpai." said Satsuki and left.

"So, right. Can I began?" said Miyu.

"Yes."

———————————————————————————————

Sora was buying herself a can from the vending machine. Her throat felt parched and she felt like she desperately needed something to drink. She kept turning Miyu's words over in her head. Fate had been a bit cruel to them this time. Teiko had played in the finals last year too. Out of the top three opponents they had played against, two hadn't made it to the finals. Except for them. Sora cursed her luck. She found that she was also having trouble opening her can. Just another thing to add to the annoying list. Sora was turning it over in her hands repeatedly debating whether to throw it off altogether when Akashi spotted her.