83: Komagi: Twist of fate

Note:

The scores are of the form; Komagi - Teiko.

————————

44 – 44.

Tip off!

Number 7(c) got the ball. She pushed past Chihaya and then she was blocked by Eru. Eru's blocking was no match for number 7(c) and she passed the ball to number 13(sg).

47 – 44.

Akira got the ball. She passed it to Yukiji. Yukiji passed the ball to Sora. Sora was double teamed by number 4(pg) and number 8(sf). She was blocked and unable to move. Sora did an overhead pass to Akira. Akira was blocked by number 6(pf). She tried to pass number 6(pf) but number 8(sf) backtipped her. Number 8(sf) passed the ball to number 7(c). Number 7(c) went towards the hoop. Chihaya tipped her and the ball was open. Yukiji scooped it up and dribbled forward. She was blocked by number 8(sf) and she tried to shoot. The ball rebounded. Chihaya jumped and pushed it back in.

47 – 46.

Chihaya got the ball. She passed it to Akira. Akira went forward and was blocked and so she passed the ball to Yukiji. Yukiji was blocked by number 8(sf). Number 8(sf) took the ball and gave it to number 13(sg).

50 – 46.

"Nae, do you know what zodiac I am?" said number 8. Yukiji shook her head. "I'm a Capricorn." said number 8(sf). This made Yukiji a bit uncomfortable. Capricorn was first. Sora who was nearby heard their conversation. She felt that something was amiss though she couldn't put her finger on it.

The third quarter continued and at the end of it, the score was 62 – 63.

As they left the court, something struck Sora. She tugged Yukiji's sleeve. "Yukiji –san, how well do you follow Oha-asa?"

"What?"

"I mean can you tell me everyone's places and lucky items?" said Sora hopefully.

"No. But I bet Shintaro could. I only keep tabs on my zodiac and that of my friends."

"I see."

"Why? Is something wrong?"

"No. It's nothing."

The team was on the bench when it hit Sora. The thing that had made her really suspicious was number 8's pockets. Sora scanned the Komagi bench and made up her mind.

"Senpai, can I text someone real quick?" said Sora.

Chihaya looked at her in amazement. "Kouhai, we're in a crisis here."

"Trust me, this is really important. Akira-san, I'm going to borrow your phone."

"Okay..." said Akira slowly.

Sora quickly typed out her message.

*To: Shin-chan

What is Capricorn's lucky item today?*

"Oro? Akira-san, you've stored Midorima-san's name as 'Shin-chan'" said Sora with a giggle. "Doesn't he hate that?"

"Is that really relevant now?" said Akira.

"May be, maybe not."

Sora got her reply.

*From: Shin-chan

A kendo stick, nanodayo. Is it really important now?*

"He includes 'nanodayo' in his messages...." said Sora.

"Are you done, kouhai?" said Chihaya wearily.

"Yes, senpai." said Sora. "Although I feel slightly uncomfortable about this, I think I know something that's going to rub number 8 the wrong way."

—————————

The fourth quarter began.

62 – 63.

The teams made their way on to court.

"Umm.... Number 8-san, are you missing something?" said Sora.

Number 8 paled instantly. "What's going on here?" said Yukiji.

"Yukiji-san, Aries may be last, but I assure you you're the one who has the upper hand here." said Sora. "Aren't I right?" she said, addressing number 8. Number 8 simply swore.

Akira took the ball. She passed it to Chihaya. Number 7(c) took the ball from her and passed it to number 8(sf). Yukiji blocked number 8(sf). To Yukiji's surprise, number 8(sf) tried to shoot instead of going head on. She had done so hastily so the ball scratched the hoop and rebounded. Chihaya was the first on the scene so she pushed it in.

62 – 65.

"Yukiji-san should have it easy from now on..." muttered Sora. "Mind you, I just payed them back their own card....."

"Sora-chan, what did you do to her?" said Akira displaying a hint of fear.

"Nothing much. I just reminded her of something."

"What?"

Sora grinned. "She's an Oha-asa freak and she isn't carrying her lucky item. I think she doesn't go to some weird lucky item store like Midorima. But the point is, she was feeling its loss. That's why she couldn't lay off Oha-asa. And to think she was forcing Yukiji-san into a corner..."

"How did you know?"

"Her pocket and the Komagi bench. I'll explain later. The ball is coming into play." said Sora.

From that time on, Yukiji had it somewhat easier. Number 8 had quit goading her and had devoted her focus to the game enabling Yukiji to do the same. When it came to a difference in their strengths, Yukiji was more than a match for number 8.

Thus, Teiko was able to win the match. The score was 77 - 83.

"The final quarter is now over! Teiko wins with a score of 83."

"I guess you surpassed us this year too." said number 4.

"Oh, I wouldn't put it like that. It was mostly..... luck." said Sora.

————————-

"How did you know?" repeated Akira once they were in the locker room. Satsuki, Akira and Yukiji were listening to Sora's story.

"I don't know..... intuition?" said Sora.

"Woah! That's my department." said Satsuki.

"Okay. Hunch... Inspiration... whatever."

"Go on." said Akira.

"Well, the point is, she was clearly an Oha-asa addict because she knew the positions for the day and all. If so, the obvious result would be that she would carry her lucky item. If it was small it would probably be in her pocket. If it was big it would be on the bench since that's what Yukiji-san and Midorima-san usually do. I could safely say that her pocket was empty and I couldn't see anything out of place on the bench. So I took my chance and asked Midorima-san what Capricorn's lucky item was. And as you all know, it paid off. Although I feel a bit guilty about it, I just wanted her to lay off Yukiji-san so that she could play....."

"Nice!" said Akira.

"Thank you. It was nothing much though...."

"So we're number one for the second time!" whooped Akira.

"Third, kouhai." corrected Chihaya who had just literally danced into the room.

"Chi-chan, if you count it that way, there's a lot more than three." said Eru.

"Whatever it is, we've been on a streak!"

"Teiko rocks!" exclaimed Akira.