41: Captaincy

Chapter 41:

Captaincy

"What?" Both Sanada and Shirogane were looking at Nijimura puzzled. He nodded.

"I'm sure about this sensei. I can't be the captain anymore."

"But why?" said Shirogane.

"Because of my...... situation."

"But wasn't it the same before? What has changed for you to take such a measure?"

"Sensei." began Nijimura. "Yesterday, I ran off during one of the planning sessions just because I suspected my father was ill. If it came down to it, I would even do so in the middle of a match. Wouldn't that make me an unreliable captain?"

"But Nijimura..." said Sanada patiently. "You were aware of this even before. What has made you take such a step?"

"There are you a few circumstances."

"Circumstances?"

"Yes." said Nijimura. "Might I take the liberty of suggesting a candidate to take my place?"

"Candidate?"

"Yes. The second year, Akashi Seijuro."

"Why him in particular?" asked Shirogane carefully, though he already knew the answer.

"Akashi is a steady guy. He has good tactical knowledge and keeps calm even when things are rough. Also, I think he might have surpassed me...."

Shirogane nodded. This had to be the reason. The gom.

"Fine. I shall take your opinion into consideration. You can go."

Nijimura left.

"What do you think?" said Sanada.

"I think we now do what has to be done." replied Shirogane.

*************

Akashi had just seen Shirogane and Sanada. It was quite surprising. But it wasn't like he hadn't seen it coming. Nijimura had been really worried as of late. Here he was now.

"You saw them?"

Akashi nodded.

"So you're the new captain. Good luck. The brats are all yours now. I'll be watching from the sidelines. Do well, partner." Saying this, he clapped Akashi on the back and went his way.

************

"Nae, Akashi-kun." said Satsuki during lunch. "I heard that you're the new captain."

Everyone looked at him in amazement.

"Congrats, Akashi-san!" Everyone said this in different variations.

"But wait." said Aomine. "What happened to ol' Nijimura?"

"He resigned. Because of, well... some things." said Satsuki. Everyone paused for a minute.

"Then? Hey, I don't envy you people from now on. Think of your training schedules....." said Akira with a sort of sadistic pleasure, breaking the silence.

"No kidding right...." said Sora with a shudder.

The gom looked at Akashi in a sort of fascinated horror.

"It's true I have a few things planned." he said with a shrug. "Please prepare yourself....."

"Extra practice...." groaned Aomine.

"Any of them on Friday?" said Sora hopefully. "You'll be busy, surely. What with being the captain and all...."

"Don't worry, Himeji. If I miss your training on Friday, I'll make it up on some other day." he said in an amused tone.

"Drat...."

"To be slow tortured by a midget...." said Aomine with a shudder.

"I didn't catch you, Aomine...."

"Never mind!"

"I wish you.... er, all of you, good luck." said Akira grimly.