64: Duel

Chapter 64:

Duel

"Aomine Daiki."

Aomine jumped. That voice was really scary and it seemed to be coming out of the blue. Aomine looked around and wished he hadn't. It was Sora. She was surveying him with almost a ghoulish curiosity. "There's something you need to do. Right after school ends." she said.

"What is it...."

"Come to the court."

"Seriously..... If you're trying to convince...."

"I'm not trying to convince you of anything." she said with all apparent sweetness. "I'm just telling you what you're going to do."

Aomine gulped. She sounded a bit like a psycho. "I'm not going....."

"I wouldn't recommend it." Aomine felt that it was either this or ending up dead in a plastic bag somewhere the next day. He would go. It probably wouldn't do him any permanent harm. Unlike the alternative.

Akira happened to find them just then. "Sora-chan, are you alright? You never cut class.... Wait, what's aho doing here?"

"All in good time."

---------------------------------

"You requested to see me?" said Akashi stiffly. Practice had already started and they had called him out in the middle.

"Not without reason." said Sora in an equally formal tone. "Your ace wanted to talk to you and I didn't see any reason why he shouldn't. So I thought I'd help him."

Akashi looked at the trio thoughtfully. "Not here." he said finally. He called one of the members and left instructions about what to do for the next five minutes. He nodded to the three again. "Follow me."

He lead them to one of the empty courts a bit far away. "If anyone wants to talk..." he said. "I suggest that they do so. Quickly and directly." he said pointedly looking at Sora.

"Aomine wishes to apologize for his previous deeds. He wants to say that he'll come regularly as he used to." said Sora primly. "Isn't that so, Aomine-san?" said Sora looking at Aomine. He nodded uncertainly. Akashi's eyes flicked from one to the other of the two. "No. I will not accept this." he said finally.

"Why not?" demanded Sora.

"Because only I want the ones playing to be willing to give their all in all respects. There is no room for half-hearted play. Not here, not anywhere."

Sora realized that what he was saying was true. But this probably had to end somewhere. "Akashi-san, this won't do you know. Why do you have to be so stubborn? Someone has to end this. Aomine-san is willing to give it a try at least. Why don't you give him a second chance?"

"Because it won't work." said Akashi simply. "I can as good as see the future. Besides, I'd rather do this alone than have people who just drag me down. Either way, we'll probably win whatever's coming. So it makes no difference to me."

Soda's eyes narrowed. "I'm not talking statistics. I'm talking about the team. They're falling apart. You know it. To have their ace back in the game will give them a good feeling. Things will probably go back to the way they were."

"What if I don't want to go back?"

Sora looked at him. "So you want them to fight? Do you want to spend half your day solving petty disputes?"

"It's not a question of what I want. It's a question of what's necessary. Perhaps in the pursuit of sentiment, we might have lost sight of something more substantial. I want them to realize what's more important."

"So the title's all you care about?"

"Tell me..." he said with contempt. "This whole friendship-teammate thing.... How long will it give someone happiness? People are fickle. But records.... They're the ones who stand time's true test. Unfortunately there isn't a title for the friendliest team in Japan. So, yes. That will always be second when it comes to winning."

Sora shook her head. "That's utter rubbish!"

"Those who speak otherwise are the ones who spout rubbish. For all your talk, you can never beat me."

"You don't know that." pointed out Sora.

"I do actually."

"You want to base something like this on a game of basketball?"

"Shogi..... Chess..... Name anything and I will be able to beat you."

"Basketball." spat Sora. "You.... Is there no other way to get to nuts like you....."

"So you are serious?"

"Yes."

Akashi cocked his head. "In that case I will propose something. The one who wins is always right. He is absolute. So in the event that you win, I will accept that fraternity is the best approach in any situation...."

"And if I lose?"

"You will admit that your words are not worth my time and refrain from uttering any in my presence. Now and perhaps even in the future."

"Done."

---------------------------

Akira had never seen either of them this mad before. Both she and Aomine hadn't spoken a word since they had come there. Akira watched them both take their positions.

It was a really good match. She'd have to give it that. But there was this undercurrent of ill will that put a really bad taste on it. And then she noticed Sora. There was absolutely no expression on her face. Nothing at all. And the way she was playing.... Akira sucked in her breath. "Mine-kun.... Is that the zone?"

Aomine squinted. "Hell no. Himeji doesn't have the strength. She'd probably just drop down if she even tries."

"But what is she...."

"I won't deny that it looks extremely weird. Something's off..... But anyway, let's go."

"What? Why? I can't leave her here...."

Aomine looked at Akira steadily. "There are some things which you often end up wishing no one ever knew because of the shame you inevitably associate with it. And if I'm not mistaken, your friend will probably think the same soon."