19: Skill

Chapter 19:

Skill and Wit

Kise was looking for a place to practice. One of the extra courts would do just fine. Kise had banked on the evening and the succeeding weekend to practice. That way, he could be better equipped for the next week. He opened the doors to one of the courts and found Aomine and Kuroko playing inside. Kise knew that they practiced every evening. They seemed in perfect sync with each other.Even so, Kise could see the difference in their strenghts. He still didn't know how Kuroko had managed to keep his place in in the first string. But he'd gathered that he was a special player. In fact, he'd heard that he was the 'trump card' of the team. Kise didn't want to disturb them and he wasn't sure if his presence would be welcome. So he decided to go to one of the other courts.

Unfortunately, he found that that court was occupied too. Akashi was playing basketball with some girl he vaguely recognized. Himeji something or the other. He seemed to be trying to teach her how to do a scoop shot. Both of them paused when he came in.

"Oh, don't mind me." he said. "Jeez, all the courts seem to be occupied."

"Oh, we don't need the entire court." said the girl. "We'll take one side and you take the other."

And they duly did so. Kise began to warm up. At the same time, he watched them play.

"No....." said Akashi shaking his head. "You're accuracy has improved a lot. It's just the form."

"I can barely get the ball in by a normal shot and you want to try scoop shots already? Can we go a bit slow?"

"Liar. It's just your lack of incentive. Learn the form and then try."

"But......"

Nonetheless, the girl tried again. The ball scratched the hoop and rebounded.

"There!" she said.

"It's the way you keep your arm."

Kise couldn't keep still anymore. "Umm..... It's your form."

Both of them turned. "Eh?" said the girl.

"Well, you're stretching it bit too forcedly. Try loosening your arm while lifting just a tiny bit. Don't strain it by stretching."

"Will you try?" said Akashi.

"Umm.... Okay."

Kise took the ball and dribbled it a couple of time. And then he pulled of a flawless scoop shot.

"Nice!" commented the girl.

"Hmm..... Is this the first time you have seen a scoop shot?" inquired Akashi.

"Nope. One of the guys in the second string could do it. This is the first time I'm trying though......"

"I see."

There was some noise at the entrance and all three turned. A few people were coming in. Kise waved to them. And a loud 'kyaa' was heard. Kise turned and saw slightly uncomfortable expressions on both Akashi and the girls' face. Perhaps he could leave..... But then again he should practice.

"Hmm.... Let me try again...." said the girl and took the ball. She dribbled meditatively and then tried again. It scratched slightly and then rebounded.

"Drat!" she said. She winced a bit when someone commented from the back.

"Himeji, arm....." said Akashi patiently.

"Umm.... you don't have to be so tensed. Just don't think of anything else." said Kise.

"What, you both are doing it now?"