Chapter 47 - Reunited (Mature)

I must have dozed off, because the next thing I knew Nikki was holding a cup of coffee under my nose and telling me to wake up. The aroma wafting into my nostrils gradually brought me around. I winced when I raised my head. My neck was stiff because of how I had been sitting when I fell asleep. Nikki put the hot beverage in my hands and walked around behind me. She gave me a neck rub and I was able to sit up.

"Tori kick you out of bed? She is still an active sleeper."

"No, I was wide awake at 2AM. I didn't want to wake you guys, so I came out here. I guess I was sleepy after all. Thank you for this," I raised the steaming mug to my lips and savored the vanilla scent of the flavored coffee. I had not had Nikki's coffee in far too long.

"I have missed those mornings we would sit out here," Nikki looked out over the back yard, a wistful look on her face. "We needed each other desperately then. I would not have survived losing Robert if you hadn't been here. I hated that the reason you were here because it was so painful for you, but I loved having you here." She reached over and took my hand. I leaned my head on her shoulder.

"You brought me through that time too. Being able to focus on you and the kids helped my life make sense again. You kept me from falling down that black hole. I am really thankful to you too. You had no idea, but I was leaning on you too." I sat up and looked at her. "I don't know if I ever said thank you for that. So, I will say it now. Thank you for always being there for me. Thank you for giving of yourself, even when you thought you had nothing to give." We were both tearing up.

"Okay, stop it. I don't want to cry this early in the morning." She squeezed my hand and smiled. "What time is your client meeting? I and my car are at your disposal today."

"I just realized that I have not driven a car in a year! And I don't really miss it. At least I don't miss the traffic."

"Yeah, you have someone drive you now. Mrs. Fancy Pants," she chided.

"Not always, I take a taxi a lot."

"That still counts as having someone drive you," she deadpanned.

"Fair enough. I would take the bus, but Min doesn't want me to. He said there are too many sasaengs and he worries for my safety."

"I completely understand that."

"I will be getting my license eventually, but until then... yeah, just call me Mrs. Fancy Pants," I laughed. "Anyway, the meeting is at 11AM. I need to go the gallery first though. But after all that, we can play the rest of the day."

"Awesome! Tori tried to convince me to let her stay out of school today. I said no. I don't want her to miss school. She already gets too distracted with her skating and Hapkido. Then she wants to watch K-pop videos instead of studying. And there is a boy she is starting to like," she sighed. My head snapped around to look at her.

"No! Not boys! Not yet!" I buried my face in my hands, exaggerating my dismay.

"Yes, boys. She is almost 14 now. Bobby just turned 16 and almost has a girlfriend. My babies are growing up too fast, Sunny. They aren't babies anymore." I stroked her back and then wrapped my arm around her shoulders and squeezed in a show of support.

"They are good kids though. You have done an amazing job with them." I paused, "but if any boy breaks that little girl's heart, his ass is grass and I am the lawnmower." I quoted my mom and she giggled, remembering how she used to talk to us.

Nikki's mom had passed away in high school, so my mom "adopted" her. This is one of the reasons we became so close. She spent the night at our house at least once a week, sometimes more. Her father worked odd hours and it was easier on everyone for her to stay with us. It also gave her the emotional support that she needed. When my parents were killed in that awful car crash, she was just as devastated as I was.