Chapter 7 - Settling In (Edited)

Very early the next morning I packed up and went down the street to the little coffee shop where Jun and I had gone that first morning. I selected a variety of delectable pastries to take to my hosts. I got a pastry and an Americano for myself and sat down by the window for a minute. I absently looked out at the beautiful sunrise and wondered if it was possible that Minhyuk was thinking about me at that same moment. He probably had been up late practicing and was asleep. I hoped that he was resting well. They were preparing for the comeback and their schedule was pretty grueling. It made me worry for their health.

I took a taxi to my new temporary residence. When I arrived, a handsome man, probably in his early twenties, helped me get my things inside. He introduced himself as Jinho and said he worked for the couple. I bowed politely and followed him inside. What do they feed these boys? I wondered, then giggled when I thought of Jackson answering that very question... 'rice'.

The delightful pair were inside the door and greeted me with huge bear hugs. Considering their slight statures, huge was quite a feat! Respectfully, and with proper form, I handed the bag of pastries to Harabeoji and his face lit up. I remembered him complaining that Halmeoni hardly ever obliged his sweet tooth.

Jinho had placed my things into "my" room and went to get the car. Halmeoni promised to show me around the house when we got back. It was quite large on the inside. They had mentioned it was difficult for them to get up and down from the floor, so their grandsons had gone in together and bought them the furniture to make it more comfortable.

I had never enjoyed running errands so much. Halmeoni was a delight to be with and everyone in town adored her. We went to the open market. She said early morning is the best time to get the good stuff. We strolled around and she taught me how to barter with the vendors, and how to select the best produce, meat, and seafood. Halmeoni was full of energy for a woman of her age. I got tired before she did.

We came back, put away our bounty, and prepared lunch. After we ate, she showed me to my room. It was cozy and inviting, but the best part was that it had a real bed and its own bathroom! Harabeoji told me their grandson had it put in so he would have privacy when he stayed with them. I was feeling a lot better about this arrangement.

The rest of the house was beautiful. She showed me a few family heirlooms that hailed back to her great grandparents. These treasures were absolutely stunning pieces of pottery that I would proudly display in the gallery.

I was not prepared for what they showed me next. In the courtyard behind the house was a beautiful pool. It was one of those pools that was designed to look natural and it had a little cove with a waterfall. Halmeoni touched my arm as she giggled. "Sunny, remember to breathe," she said. I realized I had been holding my breath... again.

"Halmeoni, this is spectacular!"

"Our youngest grandson had it put in. He brings his friends over sometimes when he can get a break from work and they play in it. Jinho takes care of it for us. Please, use it as much as you want. We hardly ever do." She patted my hand and smiled sweetly. She excitedly told me he that I might meet him because may be coming for dinner tonight. He works all the time so whenever he can get away to see her, she is thrilled.

"Thank you so much. Swimming is how I relax. I will enjoy this very much."

"Now let us go get you settled in. I hope the room is comfortable enough for you."

"It is perfect. Thank you very much."

I headed back to my room and started unpacking. The room wasn't large, but it was very comfortable. I got a text from Jisung asking me to check my emails when I got a moment, so I booted my computer and read what he sent. He said that he loved the space that I had found and asked me to take a look inside before I left. He had set up an appointment with the leasing agent in 2 days to do a walk-through. He said he may be ready to open the sister gallery soon and asked me to photograph the interior thoroughly. I responded that I would take care of it, of course. It was a bit exciting to think that we would have a location here as well. There might even be an opportunity for me to travel here occasionally.

I was feeling a bit sleepy after having gotten up so early, so I laid back on the comfy pillows and took a quick power nap. I had the dream again. It was frustrating that I could never remember anything more in all the times I had dreamt it. All I could ever get was the path, the cherry blossoms floating around us, and his smile. In the dream, his smile was more brilliant than any I had seen yet. I always felt so warm and happy when I woke from the dream. Today was no exception.