Chapter 24 - My New Life (Mature)

My flight landed in Seoul just after 7 in the evening. Jinho met me at the airport and drove me to Halmeoni's. The guys were filming on location and were supposed to have been finished and back home already, but there had been a lot of delays. That meant Minhyuk would not be back until the next day. I was disappointed, but we had already waited this long. I could handle one more night... I kept repeating that to myself because I really did not believe it.

Halmeoni and Harabeoji were waiting for me at the door, huge smiles on their precious faces. Halmeoni patted my cheek, "I told you to be brave and strong and now look at you." I smiled and held her hand. She had dinner ready and we all sat down to eat together. I told her how much I had missed her cooking and that made her happy. I had missed Chuseok by just a couple of days, but there were still some Songpyeon (half-moon shaped rice cake traditionally served during Chuseok) leftover. I really liked the ones with walnuts in them. I munched on a couple as I helped her clean up. We visited for a little while before they went off to bed.

Jinho had placed my luggage in "my" room. I started unpacking and reality just hit me. I was no longer separated from Minhyuk by oceans and continents, just asphalt and buildings now. I sat on the bed and fell back, happiness washing over me. I bounced up and continued putting my things away. Mostly I had clothes, cosmetics and skincare, and a few photos and knickknacks that I wanted to keep with me. I would begin looking for an apartment soon, hopefully I would find one close to the dorm.

Jisung had promised to keep a section for me in the new gallery and he was going to arrange a special exhibition for the grand opening. He was trying to arrange a charity exhibition for the grand opening, and said he would let me know more on that as it came together. It was too early right now. I had a couple of days to get settled before I had to start working, and I hoped to spend a lot of it with Minhyuk if his schedule allowed. In the back of my mind, I knew that getting time with him would be challenging, but I would take once a week over once every few months and be thankful. And we had the hiatus coming soon, so we would be together then.

Minhyuk called me on video chat and we talked while they ate dinner. They all looked great. The upcoming break had everyone excited. Most were planning to visit family and just relax for the 4 weeks. They all teased Minhyuk that they knew what he would be doing for 4 weeks. He got embarrassed and started yelling at them. I could not keep from laughing because he was so adorable. They calmed down and settled back in to finish eating. Minhyuk said they would be back at about 3 PM the next day and asked me to meet him at the dorm. He winked at me when he added, "and plan to stay the night. I have a special birthday surprise planned for you." My heart fluttered, as did the butterflies in my stomach. I had the dream again that night. We were walking the cherry blossom lined path. Sometimes I remembered a little more when I had the dream, and this time I noticed he was holding my hand. His smile was just as brilliant as always.

The next day, I awoke to the smell of food in the air. Halmeoni was up before the birds, as usual, but I was exhausted from the past few days of activity so I slept little later. I had a layover this time, and it was a longer flight than last time. I was starving when I finally managed to get up and start moving around. The excitement of the new chapter of my life returned and I was instantly awake. I looked at myself in the mirror as I splashed water on my face and realized that I looked happy. It was a look that I had not had for years. There had been an emptiness and a hollow look to my eyes... that is until I met Minhyuk. I smiled at my reflection and headed to the kitchen for a delicious meal and visit with Halmeoni.

After I caught up with Halmeoni, I went for a quick swim and then showered. I smoothed rose scented lotion on my skin and dabbed on a tiny bit of makeup. I dried my hair enough to be able to put it up in a messy bun and then packed an overnight bag. Just as I was laying out the clothes I planned to wear, my phone dinged. It was Minhyuk letting me know they were on their way back to the dorm and would be there in about an hour, a little earlier than expected. I bounced up and down as I replied to him that I would be on my way soon.