Chapter 54 -

Author's note: You guys know that I try to be accurate as far as how things work, even though this story is pure fantasy. This chapter is completely NOT that way. I tried researching adoption in Korea for mixed-race couples but got a big fat nothing. So I wrote it the way I wanted. I hope you enjoy!

I could not be sure how the appointment went. I was so nervous, I thought I was going to be sick. I had to put on my big-girl panties and act normal though. I was used to that with work and public speaking, but this was different. Min said I pulled it off, but I was still unsure about the whole thing.

Our case manager, Choi JiWon, was professional and pleasant, but not very warm. Her office was a bit cold and austere, yet there were family photos on her desk and the bookcase. She addressed Minhyuk primarily, only speaking directly to me when she had a question for me. This could have been for any number of reasons, not the least of which is that I am American. I had encountered this quite a bit since I moved here. Now we just had to wait to see if we passed their stringent background checks and met their standards. This was the first step in the process, which would be a long one.

I was still having some issues with my stomach, especially after the appointment, but I was not letting it hold me back from work. I had a lot to catch up on. We had another event in the works here, and I was working with Jisung on our annual autumn exhibit and gala in Atlanta. It was going to happen in early November this year instead of October. I was happy about that because it meant we would be here for Honey's birthday and for Chuseok. I wasn't sure how we were going to fit Norway into our schedule, especially if the adoption moved quickly, even though that was not likely.

Emma told me before I left that she would not be sending me updates. She insisted that I enjoy my time away. I had made her promise to let me know if anything big happened, but I still wasn't quite sure what I would be walking into when I returned.

It was like I had never left. Everything was running smoothly and on target. I felt almost like I wasn't needed, but Emma insisted that she needed me because she hated dealing with the artists and managers. She preferred being behind the scenes and letting me be the "face" of the gallery. That arrangement worked well for both of us, so we went with it. I did feel a little guilty at times though, especially with all the time I had taken off.

Things were about to get busy. We had several year-end galas, private parties, and exhibits scheduled. I also had the big one in Atlanta in a little over a month. I really only had to be there for my clients who expected to see me. Jisung and his new assistant had things very well under control.

For the next couple of weeks, I poured myself into work. We had not heard back from the agency except for a quick update that they were still going through everything. The guys were getting their company set up. They were filing all their paperwork, looking for a location, and looking for places to live.

It was looking like Hyungwon was going to get a place by himself, Kihyun and Shownu were going to be roommates, and Changkyun, Wonho, and Joohoney were still undecided. Kyun was not excited to live with Joohoney because of his sleeping habits, so that limited the options.

Min had promised to slow down after they left SSE. That wasn't going to be complete until the end of the year, and it was only September. My birthday was coming up and he had been hinting at a surprise. We also were planning our trip to Norway. It was looking like we would go after Chuseok and Honey's birthday, then fly back through Atlanta in time for my exhibit. We would be in Atlanta for Min's birthday. Then we would be back just in time for the end of year awards shows.

A few days after we got home, the guys made the official announcement that they were leaving SSE and starting their own label and agency. The response was primarily positive. Most Monbebes were excited for them and had been waiting this to happen for a long time. There were also those that did not support it. There were grumblings of it being my fault, because of my hanging out with Melody. Some claimed I was tainted because of my friendship with her. I ignored them and went on about my life. I accepted that not everyone was going to love me, but I did not want it to affect Minhyuk or the guys.