Chapter 60 - Miracle

(Note: The header photo is a random ultrasound I found on the interwebs.)

I sat in stunned silence for what could have been minutes but was probably only seconds. Nikki squeezed my hand, knowing something had happened.

"I am sorry, could... could you repeat that?" I asked in a voice just above a whisper.

"You heard me right. You are pregnant! You shouldn't be, but you are. Your husband must have some very magical healing sperm, because I have no other explanation!" Her laughter was like music from the angels. "I need you to come in for an ultrasound. Are you available around noon today? I know you are going back to Korea any day now, but I would like to do an ultrasound on this miracle baby while you are here. I will see you during lunch if that works for you because I am booked solid this afternoon."

We set the appointment and I slowly lowered my phone. I was in shock and not sure I believed what I had just heard. Nikki was getting very concerned. I looked at her and she raised her eyebrows, asking the unspoken question of 'what?'. I looked at her and felt the words coming out of my mouth that I thought I would never say again.

"I can't believe... I am... pregnant!"

"What?!" her hands flew to her mouth as she almost screamed.

"Yes! I am pregnant! I can't... how? I mean, this wasn't supposed to be possible," I shook my head. "Nikki... I am going to have a baby! Minhyuk's baby! I am going to give him a BABY!" I was crying now, tears of joy, of course.

"Oh my... this is amazing, Sunny! I am finally going to be an aunt!" she hugged me, and we cried together. After a few minutes she said, "he is going to be so excited. You know you can't just make an announcement. We need to come up with an idea for something special."

"Well, I kinda do have an idea, but we need Celeste and her t-shirt skills. I may have fantasized about this once or twice," I laughed.

"I am positive she will be on board for this... whatever it is."

"Can you call her and see if she has any baby onesies, two to be exact?"

Nikki raised her eyebrow and smiled. She called Celeste and made sure she had the onesies and could make something on short notice. Nikki put her on speaker, and I thought the car windows were going to shatter from the scream she let out when I told her the news. She told me she would put her other orders on hold and have these for me today, probably by the time we got home that afternoon.

Nikki went in for the ultrasound with me. She held my hand as we saw my miracle baby for the first time. It was so tiny, around an inch long. But Dr. Fleming confirmed there was a healthy life growing inside me, and I was about 10 weeks along already. I cried again. I wished Minhyuk was with me, but it was appropriate for Nik to be there since we had been through so much together. She wouldn't get to be there for the next ones since I would be in Korea. Min would get all the others.

Dr. Fleming took us to her office and made sure I was aware of the risks involved for me and for the baby. I was listening to her and trying to make sure I would remember it all, but my head was still spinning. She got my permission to contact her colleague in Seoul who specializes in high-risk pregnancies. She said they had done their internship together and were roommates in college for a few semesters. They were still pretty close and spoke often.

She told me that if she herself could not be with me through this pregnancy, she would feel good about my being under Dr. Song's care. She gave me her contact information and said she would reach out to her later that night after it was an appropriate hour in Korea.