Chapter 15 - Unexpected Visitor

I returned to the life I had known 'BM', Before Minhyuk, and it seemed hollow now. I was busy with work and with preparing for my photography exhibition, but he was constantly on my mind. No matter much I immersed myself, he was right there. I watched every TV appearance, every episode of his shows. I read all the articles on social media, especially the ones about dating rumors. I don't know if seeing him that way helped... or made it worse. No matter how busy he was, he made time to call or video chat me every day. That was the only thing that gave me comfort.

The first single from the new album was about to be released and comeback preparations were underway. Their popularity in the US had increased exponentially over the past few years, to the point that they promoted in the US as well as Korea. They would spend about 2 weeks here promoting the English version of the new song and then go back and promote on the shows in Korea once the Korean version and album were released.

They were scheduled for appearances on a few American variety and talk shows during that time and one of them was in Atlanta. He would be too busy for me to tag along the whole time, but I hoped that I would at least get to see him for a night when he was here.

He got my address during one of our conversations and told me to watch for a package from Korea. 4 days later a box arrived via EMS service. Inside was a bouquet of preserved roses, a framed photo of us, and a new Minggom wearing a beautiful whale pendant on a silver chain, which I immediately put on. At the bottom was an envelope with a rose drawn on the envelope. I opened the envelope and pulled out a letter that was handwritten in English, and 2 tickets for the recording of the local show.

He said that he was excited and looking forward to seeing me and that he would make arrangements for us to have a little time after taping the show. He said the tickets were for me and Nikki because he wanted to meet my best friend since I had met all of his. The letter made me so happy, I spun around in my living room and almost lost my balance. Simon protested my delighted squeals.

I sent Nikki a photo of the tickets and told her ask off work for that day, because she was going with me. Then I slipped my shirt off my shoulders so that they were bare and took a selca with my new necklace. I sent it to him with several kiss emojis. He said he knew it would look better on me than Minggom and he loved how it showed off my beautiful neck... that he wanted to kiss. I replied back and said, "I can't wait to see you."

Minhyuk told me that he might not get to call much for the next couple of days because he would not have access to his phone often due to their schedule. I reminded him I was having my exhibition so I would be busy too. We promised to make up for lost time in a couple of days. I also promised to take photos of everything to send to him so he could see.

My exhibition was almost ready. I had chosen the best of the best photos from my trip and had them printed, mounted, and framed. The exhibition was titled 'South Korea Through the Eyes of an Admirer' and the turnout was much higher than I expected. The most popular photograph was a silhouette profile of Minhyuk against the city lights, his features barely visible. His lips were slightly parted, and his hair was blowing in the breeze. He was magnificent. Even without seeing his face, his presence... his aura, drew people in. The evening was winding down and only a few new patrons were filtering in. I sold several photographs during the evening. I sensed something had changed in my work recently and it seemed that others felt it too. I really missed him and being in the room with all those memories made it harder to deal with.

A few minutes before we were to close, I heard the gallery door open again. My feet hurt and just wanted to go home. I was hoping that Minhyuk would be able to call tonight, even though I knew it may not happen. I mustered all my energy and a big smile and headed into the main room of the hall, prepared to greet the new arrival. My smile froze and disappeared from my face when I saw who stood in the main hall. My heart began pounding in my ears and I felt my face grow hot. It was Jack. I took a deep breath and held it while counting to 10. I filled with anger. How dare he show up here. How dare he! I walked straight up to his cocky smile and promptly slapped it from his face. The few lingering patrons turned to observe the spectacle.

"What the hell are you doing here?" I seethed. "You are not welcome here."

"He put his hand to his cheek and started to laugh. "Hello to you too, babydoll. That was new. You must have grown a pair since we were married.""

"You have no reason to be here. I have nothing to say to you."

"Relax babydoll, I am not here to ruffle your feathers. I just wanted to see your exhibition."

"Why? You don't care about this and I know you don't care about me," I gestured toward the photographs on the walls and then pointed to myself. "You never supported my art when we were married. As I recall, you insulted my work whenever you got the chance. And then there was that time you threw my sketchbook into the fireplace and I had to watch it burn to ashes. Yeah, that was really caring and considerate of you." I snorted. "You have no reason to be here... no right to be here."

"Maybe I realize now how talented you are. Did you think of that possibility?"

"No. You are probably out of women and you think I am an easy target. Or there is something else you want from me." I pointed to the door, "now please leave while I am being nice."

"But I am just getting started," he said as he turned toward the wall of black and white images. He looked back over his shoulder, "I think the star attraction here is you though. You are looking good. Still a little ways to go, but you are pretty hot now. If you had looked like that a few years ago, I might have never..." another slap stopped his sentence.

"Get the hell out of here. Get out and never show your face to me again!" I spat the words at him and gestured to the door again.

Jisung, the owner of the gallery, had entered the room and saw the spectacle. He walked up and nodded a terse greeting, "Jack," then turned to me and asked if I needed assistance.

"Yes, Sajangnim, would you mind taking this trash to the curb? It stinks." Jisung politely but firmly gestured for Jack to head to the door. Jack just shook his head and looked me up and down once more before turning and walking out the door.

I apologized to the remaining patrons and they all cheered me. It was close enough to closing time and Jisung thanked everyone for coming and started ushering them toward the door. He told them to call tomorrow if they were interested in a particular print.

As soon as the last person left and the door was locked, I collapsed into the nearest chair. This was the first time I had seen Jack since that day in court when we closed the coffin on our dead marriage. I felt like I had been kicked in the gut. Jisung helped me back onto my feet and held my arm while I steadied myself. He and I had become close friends over the past few years, ever since I wandered in one day and asked to rent space in his gallery. He had helped me get everything organized and displayed. Then I went to work for him. He knew the basic details of what had happened, but not everything. Nikki was the only one who knew it all.

He handed me a glass of champagne from a nearby tray and I drank it in one shot. I asked for another and he obliged. I held up my hand that I was okay now and he let go of my arm. I felt so much anger. Not pain, not fear, not longing for the past. Just pure anger. Apparently, I had not dealt with things as well as I had thought.

I realized that I had broken a nail and got even more angry. I began cursing in the air and my quick intake of the bubbly liquid forced an unexpected belch. Jisung just started laughing at me. He said I looked like a little dog barking at an imaginary foe. The visual of that made me start laughing too and I was able to let the anger dissipate some. Later I realized that I had not even come close to a panic attack and I knew it was because of Minhyuk being in my life now. That was the effect he had on me.

We closed up the gallery and I headed home. I had just kicked off my shoes and fed Simon a snack when there was a knock at my door. It was late and Nikki would have called first. Jackass must have followed me, I thought as the anger returned. I slung the door open ready for confrontation. I wasn't going to let him mess up what I had worked so hard to build.

"I told you I never want to see your face again, you bas..." my words trailed off and my arms fell to my side as the perfect man stood in my doorway, holding a perfect bouquet of wildflowers... my favorite.