Chapter 5

Jamie and I sit at a circle shapped table in the backyard with Destiny, David and Julie's friends. The party started an hour ago and it's already 8 pm. The small decorated lights turn on and everyone is on the dancing floor except Jamie and I. Julie is dancing with her boyfriend having a wonderful time celebrating her birthday. She's wearing a peach color long dress, white heels, and she has her hair in a bun with some of her hair sticking out. She looks beautiful.

"You know you should go dance." Jamie says. "No I couldn't." I say laughing. "Why not?" Jamie asks leaning towards me. "I'm not dancing." I say laughing. "But we do need to start practicing for my sisters thingy." I say. "Ya what are we dancing to by the way?" Jamie asks. "We have to dance to three songs. Love Is Strange by Mickey and Sylvia, I've Had The Time Of My Life by Bill Medley and Jennifer Warnes, and You're The One I Want by John Travolta and Olivia Newton-John." I say. "I can barley dance!" Jamie says. "I'm a good teacher though." I say laughing. "How?" Jamie asks. "I used to be a dance director and teacher." I say smirking. "Okay let's see about that on the dance floor." Jamie says standing up and lending out his hand. "You sure about this Jamie?" I ask. He nods and I laugh and stand up taking his hand leading him to the dance floor. "Let's see what you got Jamie." I whisper winking at him.

The song Those Magic Changes by Sha Na Na comes on and Jamie laughs. "What?" I ask smiling. "This is a slow song." He says. "So?" I ask laughing. "This slow song is from Grease." He says smiling. "Just dance Dornan." I say laughing. He smiles and places a hand on my waist and the other intertwining my hand. I place my hand on his shoulder and we dance to the music. "I trust you not to step on my shoes, or toes." I whisper to Jamie. He smiles down at me and we keep dancing.

When the song ends we walk back to our table and sit down. "I'm a good teacher." I say smirking. He rolls his eyes and grabs a water bottle, and takes a sip out of it. "So Julie, she seems happy about her meeting you." Jamie says. "Ya I was happy she accepted me." I say. Jamie nods and places his hand on my thigh. "I am proud of you." He says smiling at me. "I can't believe I did this." I say and turn to him smiling. "Did what?" He asks tilting his head. "That I came, I mean I thought she would never want to meet me." I say. "Well I am happy you did." He says and kisses me. "She has her life straight. She wants to go to Yale or Harvard, she has good grades doesn't get in trouble, she has a boyfriend that loves her. She has everything I should of had when I was her age. Except it was all about fights and just graduating." I say. "She looks like you a lot." Jamie says. "Ya she has her dad's hair, eyelashes, and tallness but that's it." I say. "Is she into sports?" Jamie asks. "Ya she plays softball, cheer, and if dance is a sport then dance." I say. Jamie smiles and I smile back. All of the music stops and turns everyone's attention to the stage.

"Thank you everyone for coming to my birthday party!" Julie says into the microphone. "Now, before I continue I would like my mom, and her boyfriend to come on stage." Julie says. Everyone turns around trying to find Destiny and David, but we all fail. "No my real mom." Julie says. I widen my eyes and Jamie laughs. He stands up and lends out a hand for me. I take it and he intertwines his fingers into mine and we walk up the stairs to the stage. Jamie and I stand in silence and stare at each other. He smiles and pulls me close to him. "Don't worry babe." Jamie whispers. I nod and we look at Julie. "Now if I recall everyone knows I'm adopted." Julie says. Everyone nods and smiles. "This is my real mom Eleanor Carmen and her boyfriend Jamie Dornan." Julie says. Everyone claps and turns their attention to us. "Speech!" Someone yells from the big crowd. Everyone chants it and Julie hands me the microphone. I look nervously at Jamie and he smiles telling me to continue.

I hold the microphone in my right hand and hold Jamie's hand in my left. He rubs my hand with his thumb telling me it's alright. I nod and look at the big crowd waiting for me. "Well, when I heard I was having a baby at 14, I was scared and I was alone. When I had Julie, I wanted to keep her, she was so damn cute. Two days later she opened her eyes and they revealed my eyes, and I fell for them. The third day doctors pulled her away from my arms, I screamed for my bundle of joy to come back to me, but they never returned with her. 15 years later my mom tells me my daughter wants to meet me, of course I'll agree. I never meant for her to leave my side. But Julie you are the most prettiest, beautifulest girl out there tonight. Yes I may not have been there your whole entire life but, already I can tell that your a wonderful girl. I hope you get what you want in life, and if you don't they are foolish for not expecting you. Happy 16th birthday Julie.'' I say smiling. She smiles and hugs me then grabs the microphone. "Thank you.'' Julie says and smiles at me. Destiny then walks on stage and Julie hands her the microphone. "Julie always found herself going in the right direction of things, well in my point of view, and to tell everyone the truth, even though we raised her she came out just to be like her mom. Her real mom, Eleanor Carmen. She wants to write like her, she wants to dance, she wants to have a serious job but also she wants someone there to make her laugh when she needs it. Jamie, Eleanor you guys are like the perfect definition of an high school couple that's in love. I am alsoproud that when I walked into that foster home on November 24, and picked the green eyed girl in the corner of the room. Happy birthday Julie.'' Destiny says. I smile and Jamie smiles down at me.