Chapter 90

Lena POV

The blood coursing through my veins turned to ice as Austin's words of shock rushing through my aching head. My thundering pulse seemed to slow its beating pace as I savored the familiar sparkle that dwelled in those baby blues that I never seemed to grow tired of swimming in.

"Lena, baby it's me."

I felt as if I had waited a thousand years to hear those sweet words leave his lips and though this man had never given me a reason to doubt him in the past, I couldn't help the disbelief stirring in the pit of my stomach.

But the reassuring look in his bright irises mimicked a beautiful feeling of nostalgia that was enough to make my insides swell, confirming my hopes and dreams and I knew I didn't have to search his handsome face for the answer I knew very well was true.

His pools of blue swept the staggered expression on my face as they bored directly into mine. I was sure the color slowly began to drain from me as my pupils skinned themselves, dissipating the chocolate brown that usually filled my eyes. I parted my lips just barely to speak, my throat bone dry as nothing but silence remained between us.

He raised his tattooed hand to cup my pale cheek, softly tracing the side of my face with his fingertips, his touch calming my heavy state of shock along with his soft gaze, blanketing my shoulders with a warm comfort as my bottom lip quivered with overwhelming emotion.

My head absentmindedly shook from side to side and my gaze remained glued to his, my chest retracting with a heaving rise and fall motion as my hoarse voice finally found the courage to return.

"Austin."

His name fell from my lips with a tone of hesitancy, my eyes suddenly frantically searching his for a yet another confirmation of familiarity as I felt my entire frame begin to tremble beneath him.

"I-is it really you? Y-you remember?"

I finally murmured my stuttered words, a sense of skepticism enveloping them along with my fears. I wasn't sure my heart was able to take any more disillusionment if I got my hopes up only for them to be crushed once again.

But his uttered words soothed my mind inside and out, repairing the cracks in my heart and stitching up the tattered rips of my torn soul.

"I remember you angel. All of you." He carefully exhaled, biting back the salty sea that was terribly crashing against the brim of his waterline.

I could no longer hold back the hot sheet of tears that undoubtedly formed in my blood shot eyes, allowing them to pour down my flushed cheeks as I began to sob uncontrollably before the very man that was responsible for them.

"Shh baby, don't cry. I'm here. I'm right here Lee."

Austin's silk smooth voice cooed softly in my ear as he wrapped his arms tightly around me, our bodies welding together underneath the comfort of the duvet. I allowed my caged feelings to suspend from my insides and float into the air, hovering above us, as it were much too overwhelming to hold them in any longer.

My heart sat heavy in my chest as I began to let his confession sink into my veins, melting them into a beautiful puddle of stillness as he leaned his forehead against mine. I pressed our skin further against each other, as if I were trying to see the world from his eyes to receive the confirmation I needed.

He opened his mouth to speak, his voice must more tremulous than before as he brushed away each and every tear before they left their imprint along my face.

"Hey. Hey angel, look at me." He coaxed, brushing his lips against mine until I mustered the strength to hold my locked gaze with his.

"I remember the very first time I saw you that night in Portland. I remember walking into the entrance of that dark kitchen, hours after my show, expecting to be met with a cold can of Bud Light to combat my terrible insomnia. But what I saw standing in front of the fridge was a sight much more than I had bargained for. The moonlight pouring into you through the window as you stood before me in your little see through shirt and your ridiculous Snoopy pajama shorts and your gorgeous widened brown eyes. I remember how you completely took my breath away before I even knew your name."