Chapter 43

Austin POV

I felt myself begin to abruptly stir as the sharpness of the bright sunlight streamed it's way over my closed lids. My head immediately felt like it was splitting in two from the few hours of sleep I had gotten. I just barely squinted before I rubbed the exhaustion from my eyes, pulling myself out of the heavy slumber.

I stretched my tired body against the mattress along my side, as I slanted my eyes in suspicion. I unexpectedly didn't feel Lena's warm small frame pressed up against me as it was when we fell asleep just hours before.

"Baby girl." I mumbled, still holding on to my glimmer of wishful thinking that she had just rolled over to the other side of the king sized bed and that was the only possible reason why I didn't feel her body molded into mine.

When I heard no response, I dreadfully rolled around to see she was no where to be found, and instead there was a little note in her place.

"Fuck, not again." I groaned to myself before snatching the paper from her pillow, the heavy disappointment boring through my mind.

Morning handsome
I know you're probably upset that I'm not there when you wake up, but I'm working as usual
You should really give me some time off
Can't wait to see you baby
xoxo
-Lee

I put the note down and ran my fingers through my messy curls as I could still smell her intoxicating scent lingering from her side of the bed.

I dragged myself to the bathroom, brushing my teeth and taking a much needed hot shower before I got dressed for the day. I pulled on a pair of boxers, followed by a pair of black joggers. I saw the merch shirt Lena wore the night before folded neatly on the chair next to the bed. I grabbed it and pulled it over my torso, the smell of her perfume still left behind. I applied some deodorant before I lastly I slid an unlit cigarette from my pack of Camels behind my ear and headed down the stairs.

Not much to my surprise I saw Chris once again, sitting entirely too close to my girl, his arm purposely brushing against hers, pointing to his laptop in front of them as they sat at my kitchen island.

Smitty was sitting on top of the opposite counter, smoking a cigarette and holding a mug of coffee with one hand and scrolling on his phone with the other.

"Morning." I said in a still groggy voice, everyone reciprocating their greetings, Chris much less enthusiastic than Smitty and Lena as he responded.

I saw Lena pouring cereal into a bowl of milk and soon after was about to take her first bite as she put down the box of Cinnamon Toast Crunch.

"Don't you fucking dare groupie." I said, stopping her in her tracks, the spoonful halfway near her mouth as she turned to me, her expression much like a deer in headlights.

I casually waltz into the kitchen as her eyes seemed to soften at the sight of me.

"I promised you French toast remember?" I smirked as she slowly lowered the spoon back into the bowl, a grin overtaking her pretty face.

"Oh yeah! How could I forget?" She chuckled as she rolled her eyes at herself and emanating that million dollar smile that always made me weak in the knees. "Fuck this cereal then." She laughed.

"You want coffee ba- Austin?" She tripped over her words, her cheeks nearly turning pink as she chewed her bottom lip, slightly taken aback by her almost mishap.

I couldn't help the smirk forming on my face as I seemed to be the only one to catch it. Or so I thought until I saw the amused look on Smitty's face as he tossed me his lighter.